UKC

I want a tent, spoon feed me

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mr-Cowdrey 13 Mar 2013
It's been asked to death, I know, I've searched! But I want advice for me I'm after a lightweight (> 3kg) 4 season, 2 person tent. Uses will be year round: Scottish winter, Dartmoor, Alps (summer/winter) etc. Now I understand that price here will be an issue, but £250 is my budget.
 LaMentalist 13 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Have you seen this these ? http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/trisar-2-xl-tent/

fits your requirements but I haven't used it though , have used Terra Nova tents in the past and they are pretty good .
 thomaspomfrett 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Slightly over budget but I'm a big fan of my Alpkit Kangri:

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16654&...
 peas65 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Voyager XL, not quite in budget but you might be able to find a cheap one.

Like a voyager but with a big porch- bonus!
 martinph78 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: A second hand Quasar if you're lucky.

Having owned the Voyager before, the Quasar has a LOT more living space and is well worth the extra money in my opinion (or getting one second hand).

Don't get me wrong, I spent a LOT of time in the voyager and it put up with everything (even pitched it at 6000m), but the Quasar with it's two porches and extra interior height is a much better tent.

I bought a voyager because I couldn't afford the quasar. Eventually ended up with a quasar. Personally I'd save a bit more and go for the quasar.
 Dom Brown 14 Mar 2013
In reply to peas65:
The North Face Tadpole 23

it's not a 4 season strictly speaking, but I've used it twice this winter and not had any issues, it's within budget and has some reviews on:
http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Gear-Reviews/Search-Results/Tents/The-Nor...
 lithos 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

superlight voyager BNWT 225 posted

http://www.psych.york.ac.uk/~rob/forsale/
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: I'm afraid I'd say your asking the impossible.

A Terra Nova Ultra Quasar is pretty much what you're specifying as soon as you say sub-3kg and genuine 4-season performance. However you are looking at a minimum of perhaps £450 even on sale. Other options that meet that criteria are the Hilldeberg Jannu (more expensive) and MSR Fury (possibly cheaper) although in both cases they are single porch designs. None of them have snow valances which might be an issue for Alpine Winter use but they are a pain the rest of the time and probably best avoided anyway.

However, with an Ultra Quasar you are looking at ultra-light poles, fly and groundsheets which aren't going to be that durable in the long term. [I always use a groundsheet protector and I am on my 2nd flysheet, 2nd set of poles and the inner has been back to TN for repair.] Equally, you will undoubtedly find that the tent (along with the Jannu, Fury etc.) is still overly heavy for the 80% of the time you are camping from Spring through to Autumn. I now haven't used my Ultra Quasar for several years now and generally use a light TNF backpacking tent.

If you are happy to relax the weight limit upward then both the standard Quasar and the Alpkit Kangri http://www.alpkit.com/tents/kangri are worth considering. Although you will still need to pay £300+ (rather than £400+).

However, I'd probably suggest looking at some quality 3-season tents. First, they are massively better value for money. Second, they will be more suitable for much (although not all) of what you want do.

I personally dislike the 3-4 season rated Trisar linked to above. I've used them extensively recently and whilst I can't fault them in terms of value for money, I find them poorly designed in several aspects, notably their profusion of guylines which seem to hinder rather than help.

One of the best 3-pole semi-geodesic tent currently on the market is the North Face Tadpole 2 DL. For a decent review, have a read of http://www.cheaptents.com/blog/tadpole2dl/

You've got loads of options but you just need to decide what is more important in terms of weight, durability, size/number of porches, extreme weather performance and ultimately cost.
almost sane 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
If you are both small, the Vaude Power Oddyssee is certainly tough and light enough, and can often be found on-line for your budget (I managed). But it is a tight squeeze for two big blokes - I wouldn't try sharing with another big person.
 TM_Horton 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: look no further than the force 10 range. cheap, bombproof and light.
 rj_townsend 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: Have a look at the Go Outdoors range. They have a Quaser imitiation in their North Ridge brand for £200 - looks good.
 nniff 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

www.cheaptents.com

according to their excellent website, the tent that meets your requirements is a Vango Spirit 200+. 2 man, 4 season, 2.8kg, £235

My work here is done................
 PeterM 14 Mar 2013

That Terra Nova Hoolie looks a bargain.
andrew breckill 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: trisar nice tent, but not 4 season, want you want is something like the quasar design, in a light weight fabric to meet your weight requirement, i'd consider low use second hand ultra quasar?
 David Barratt 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: MRS Hubba Hubba. There you may stop searching. don't ask, just buy. You won't regret it.
OP Mr-Cowdrey 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: if its any help, im more concerned about weight and perfomance. I'll have a look at all the suggestions. Cheers.
 Trangia 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

TNF Westwind. A bit over budget unless you can find a used one.

Brilliant and extremely robust tent that meets your criteria

http://www.ldmountaincentre.com/camping-c13/tents-c93/2-person-tents-c150/w...
In reply to David Barratt:
> MRS Hubba Hubba. There you may stop searching. don't ask, just buy. You won't regret it.

Only 3 issues:
1 - The OP would undoubtedly want the Hubba Hubba HP version designed for wetter UK/European conditions. The standard Hubba Hubba is well known to perform poorly in driving rain.
2 - The Hubba Hubba HP will probably cost over £250.
3 - They are both definitely 3-season, not 4-season tents.

Other than that, they are great tents and the Hubba Hubba HP would probably be my current 2nd choice for a mid-range 3-season, 2-man UK backpacking tent after a TNF Tadpole 2 DL.
 TMM 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

TarpTent Scarp 2
http://www.tarptent.com/scarp2.html

Two person, 4 season, two porches, 1.7Kg and $339. What more do you want?

I've used the Scarp1 and it is excellent.
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: Think laterally about getting it under £250? For example, Cotswold Outdoor do 20% off their listed price with the right discount codes...that way you can get a £300 tent for £250.

Or buy last year's model in a sale? Tents are often massively reduced.
 cuppatea 14 Mar 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to Mr-Cowdrey) T
>
> Or buy last year's model in a sale? Tents are often massively reduced.

Seconded.

You just need to wait for the season of our discountents.
 Sam_in_Leeds 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
wat about a wild country tent?

Think they do a quasar look-a-like one for fraction of the cost?

My wild country tent's done me proud.

Or failing that a Vaude one?
 MtnGeekUK 14 Mar 2013
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Don't you mean £240 with 20% off?
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: so im thinking either TNF Tadpole 2 DL, terra nova voyager superlite or terra nova trisar.
 london_huddy 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Mrs Hindu has the Tadpole and has used it a lot in the swiss alps up to 2800m or so in spring and autumn and has nothing but good things to say about it, especially where internal space in concerned. Nice tent and a good price.
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: anyone used the marmot limelite 2p? Also, any recommendations for a outer pitched first matching my requirements, or close enough?
ice.solo 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

MSR nook. finest 4 season tent ive seen in a long time. as light as a single skin but breathes like a double (because it is a double, but somewhere between a winter double and a 3 season).

not sure what the cost is in the UK tho, but well worth it if it pushes over a bit.
 James FR 15 Mar 2013
In reply to cuppatea:
> (In reply to nickinscottishmountains)
> [...]
>
> Seconded.
>
> You just need to wait for the season of our discountents.

It seems a shame that this got no reaction, I though it was quite funny.
 cuppatea 15 Mar 2013
In reply to James FR:

Thanks, James!

It's a joke that doesn't get used very often.
 The New NickB 15 Mar 2013
In reply to James FR:
> (In reply to cuppatea)
> [...]
>
> It seems a shame that this got no reaction, I though it was quite funny.

It gets rolled out a few times a year, most people have heard it before.
 mattrm 15 Mar 2013
In reply to cuppatea:
> (In reply to nickinscottishmountains)
> [...]
>
> Seconded.
>

Excellent post. Love it.

On topic, the tarptent looks excellent.

James FR 15 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

I obviously don't read enough threads about tents.
almost sane 15 Mar 2013
In reply to cuppatea:
>

Of course, if the tent refuses to remain upright, it is because you mistake it much.
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:
> It's been asked to death, I know, I've searched! But I want advice for me I'm after a lightweight (> 3kg) 4 season, 2 person tent. Uses will be year round: Scottish winter, Dartmoor, Alps (summer/winter) etc. Now I understand that price here will be an issue, but £250 is my budget.

A perennial, but impossible, question this one. And a perennial, but always relevant, point that I don't think has been made on the thread thus far is this: light, tough, cheap - you can only ever have two.

So time to think about what compromises you'll make and that means thinking a little more about how you intend to use your tent. Is it going to be a basecamp, pitched in a relatively sheltered valley campsite where most of the time you're only going to be carrying it from the car to your pitch, or do you intend using it for backpacking, pitching it in the Valle Blanche and staying out in weather when people of greater sanity are going to be in the pub? Is it going to be used by you on your own most of the time or will there be two people in it? How tall are you?

If you're going to use it as a basecamp then you're best off forgetting tents that weigh less than spit and cost a lot; look for something that you can sit up in comfortably as well as lie down in. This makes a big difference when you've got a few days of rain during an alpine trip, for instance, as lying down all day in your pit and cooking in the porch gets a bit tiresome. This http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/eos-350-p183850 is cheap and will work just as well as anything else most of the time; for £100 it's good value.

Then if you want something that is light enough to carry for trips to the hills, get another smaller tent. Sticking with Vango you could get one of these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/banshee-300-p183912 or one of these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/chinook-200-p179018 for that job.

Then you'll have two tents both suited to very different purposes and consequently be a lot more comfortable when you use them. And you still aren't over your budget either.

Just my £0.02...

T.
OP Mr-Cowdrey 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: Well in the end I narrowed it down to the MSR Hubba Hubba HP, Marmot Grid 2P, Mountain Equipment Dragonfly 2XT and Terra Nova Voyager Superlite.

And I went for........

The Terra Nova Voyager Superlite.

Reason behind this being that it's 1.5kg, 3-4 season and I found it for £250. If I hadn't found it for that cheap then I would have gone for the MSR Hubba Hubba HP, with the Marmot grid and ME Dragonfly a close joint 3rd. Shame about the prices being £300+ for the last 3.

Cheers for everyones suggestions.
 MtnGeekUK 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

Why doesn't a tent like this go up outer first - if it did, it would be perfect (for me!)
andrew breckill 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey: great price for that tent, will be just the job.
 TobyA 17 Mar 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK: After 20+ years of wild camping, I'm pretty unconvinced tents really need to go up outer first. Inner pitch first tend to be tighter pitched and less flappy as a result. Obviously you need to practice a bit to get a system for getting up quickish, but normally its only a minute or two until you chuck the fly over.

Tents like Hilleberg that you pitch inner and outer together are great though. Best of both worlds I guess.
 MtnGeekUK 17 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:

Both together is the ideal. So many good designs I've seen lately have been spoiled (IMO) by being inner first - even a quick pitch will result in a damp bathtub!
andrew breckill 17 Mar 2013
In reply to MtnGeekUK: it needn't though, I have pitched my quasar in a Hoolie on the Ben with snow blowing all over the place, and got tent up with no wet inner, same in driving rain in langdale the inner is resistant enough to deal with the short time it is exposed.
 damo5000 17 Mar 2013
In reply to nniff:

I've got the spirit 200+. It's far from bombproof, no way would I class it as 4 season.
Several times poles have broken in moderate winds, thus tearing the fabric etc.

Other than that it's very good and much cheaper than the Hilleberg it copies
 leeangell 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Mr-Cowdrey:

There ya go

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/WildCountry/Trisar2Tent.aspx

A genuinly good tent and totally bombproof, the only bad point is that its inner pitch first, though if you pack it carefully you can put inner and outer up together.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...