UKC

Costa Blanca in June, too hot?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 red.stiletto 14 Mar 2013
Sooooo... The whole extended family is off on holiday! I have convinced them Costa Blanca will be a good idea. But it turns out they have chosen June. I'm sure the weather will be lovely for sunbathing and ice cream eating, but will it be just way too hot for climbing? Or are there some sheltered crags with easy routes for us? Just need to decide whether to book some hold bags and take climbing stuff or just stick with flip flops and shades? ;D
Thoughts?
 JeroenandTimo 15 Mar 2013
In reply to red.stiletto: Hi, I was in Spain last June, first couple of weeks and had beautiful weather. Was indeed quite hot, but just means that you have to go early morning, long siesta and back late afternoon when walls are in the shade. I climbed at Guadelest with a local Spaniard and there were lots of Spanish climbing there, but no one else which was great! There is a nice climbing refuge there that does lunch and sells cold beers, ideal for the siesta!

Also climbed near Lliber in the Jalon Valley and Alcalali, both in early evenings and was fine. Nice temperature and no one else about apart from a couple of Spanish climbers. Would definately take the climbing gear, enjoy!
 Ava Adore 15 Mar 2013
In reply to red.stiletto:

There are definitely sheltered crags - drop Al Evans a line through this forum. When I went out to visit him a few years back - in June - he found some great places to go that were sheltered in the morning and then I headed for the beach in the afternoon.
silo 15 Mar 2013
In reply to red.stiletto: There's some dws you could always try.
 The Ivanator 15 Mar 2013
In reply to red.stiletto: Forada is a good option to find shade.
 Al Evans 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Ava Adore: One of the crags me and Ava went to was Font d' Axia (also in the Jalon Valley), which is shaded in the morning.
L'Ocaive is also shaded until later in the day I think.
Otherwise the great shady crag for harder climbs is one side of Forada, a few easier ones there too.
On Toix really only the eall of Raco del Corv is shaded until the afternoon and the nearby Mascarat Gorge has shady rock just about all day.
Salem has crags both sides of the valley so there should be something shaded at any time of day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...