UKC

Pulling out of a race

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wonrek 14 Mar 2013
When do you make that god awful decision that you just can't do it?

The doctor told me today he suspects I have pneumonia, already on anti/b's and having X-rays tomorrow to confirm this. I am/was supposed to be running my first three day stage race next weekend.

My head says pull out and run it next year my heart says 'c'mon antibiotics you've got eight days to turn this round' Nearly a year I've focused on building up to this race. I'm unwell but not sick (or you could read that as I'm as stubborn as they come and refuse to stop till I fall over?)

So I'm really interested to hear about others experiences of either having to pull out or gritting teeth and going for it anyway.........
 Banned User 77 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek: I wouldn't run..

Not knowing the race but assuming its 3 days of marathon/ultra distance stuff you'll be immuno-suppressed and could potentially make it far far worse. Unless 100% certain I was clear of it I wouldn't.

I'd also worry about not mentally committing to toughing it out. I entered a 100k with an arm in a cast with the view that if it became an issue I'd DNF... and sure enough I DNF'd when my hip got sore.. I entered with a negative mindset and you can't do that at long races.
 DancingOnRock 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek: Haven't been ill for 3 years! Other than migraine. Anything I've ever has that required antibiotics has cleared up in 3 days and I've been reluctant to finish the course.

I would give it 5 days and see how you feel. If you feel at all tired I wouldn't even risk it.

My friend was in hospital for a week with pneumonia. I guess it can affect different people in different ways.
OP Wonrek 14 Mar 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Yes, it's the JCC, three maras in three days on the Jurassic coast. I need to make a call in the next couple of days so that I can defer and sell on my accomodation if that's the way I want to go.

Mentally I think I could tough it out, it's something I know I do well but I am concerned about fitness as there's some pretty tasty hills. That being said I'm on the anti-bs now.

I'm also trying to think bigger picture and the other races lined up this year that I'm going to need to get back on track for. Trying to but there's that little voice say 'do it, you're tough enough'

I wouldn't fancy running in plaster though! I guess you found out its likely to alter your running and whack something else out of line? I'm surprised the RD let you run or was it a case of not asking?
OP Wonrek 14 Mar 2013
In reply to DancingOnRock:
> (In reply to Wonrek) Haven't been ill for 3 years! Other than migraine. Anything I've ever has that required antibiotics has cleared up in 3 days and I've been reluctant to finish the course.
>
> I would give it 5 days and see how you feel. If you feel at all tired I wouldn't even risk it.

Yes, this lines up with that devilish little voice at the back of my mind. I'm normally fit and well have been for years but I think I've had a few immune system issues this year but I think that's come off the back of training so hard and being in contact with every germ known to man.
 Liam M 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek: H ran an ultra whilst recovering from the effects of laryngitis (sp?). It hit her very hard over the next few days, and she is now rather vocal about it being a bad decision.

I'd guess pneumonia is a more serious condition, and given this winter so far I wouldn't have thought it would suddenly become kind to the condition over the next week or so.

It may be a target, but I'd be reluctant to start; you don't want to damage your potential to have future targets.
 Banned User 77 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek: I didn't ask.. it was light but it was still extra weight and you were holding it awkwardly.

I was in a cast for 16 weeks so just had to get by.. but it stunk..

But if you are still feeling chesty, rattly cough then I think you'll drive it deeper in and make it far worse..

steveriley 14 Mar 2013
Just can it, there's millions of events. You can find another you really like the look of, your fitness won't evaporate but I think you risk doing yourself a mischief racing. I toughed it out for weeks last year and that was just shorter stuff (xc, HM, BGR support, etc) and just kept getting slower. Wasted at least 2 months. I was an idiot.
 Trangia 14 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Pneumonia can kill! If your GP thinks you may have it you'd be f*cking nuts to carry on! Pull out now.
OP Wonrek 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Trangia:
> (In reply to Wonrek)
>
> Pneumonia can kill! If your GP thinks you may have it you'd be f*cking nuts to carry on! Pull out now.

I'm sure that's really sensible advice but given the completely pointless and illogical nature of ultra running it goes hand in hand that the decisions made in the training and lead up aren't always logical or rational either.

That said, I've slept on it and am more swaying to pulling out. I don't stand to lose too much in financially but the mojo loss is going to be enormous.....
 steveriley 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:
You'll just get your post-race slump out of the way sooner by having it before
Just find another event and absolutely nail it when you're fit...
 Dave B 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Pull out. Gutted at the time, but knew that having had post-viral fatigue that I never want that again. 2 years off serious exercise, 3-4 years before I was as fit as I was before it.

mattrm 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Pull-out. As others have said, it's a very serious illness and it can and does kill even in fit people. It could make things worse for the next few months.

I did an ultra last year and stuffed my knee up half way round. Kept on going, but the injury completely wrecked the rest of my summer.
 Banned User 77 15 Mar 2013
In reply to mattrm: Aye

This is a guy who was one of the best fell runners in Britain maybe a decade ago, still at the front of fell races.. very fit guy..
You always think such things just happen to the unfit.. ill people..

http://eryriharriers.org.uk/?p=332

scary stuff..
 mattrm 15 Mar 2013
In reply to IainRUK:

Yeah, exactly. One of my colleagues at a previous job got swine flu, he spent 6 weeks in ICU. At the same time I know of a guy who had pneumonia and was in hospital for several weeks.

Admittedly, I'm asthmatic, so tend to take lung infections more seriously, but there we go.
Moley 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:
When I was in my late 30's I had measles, (I was very ill with the virus) but had already entered a local 1/2m and had a bit of competition against a mate. Far from fully recovered (I now accept) I was back at a manual job and trying to train, my weight hit an all time low but I pushed myself to the limit and did the race and beat my mate. Ran about 1.25.

It was probably 12 months before all the symptoms of the virus cleared my bady and I returned to normal strength.

Pull out.
 richardkeast 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Presuming you're doing the Votwo race, couldn't you ask them if you can transfer your entry to the ACC later in the year? There's no harm in asking. It's a pretty cool race and most people seem to think it's just as challenging, if not more so. I haven't done the JCC though, so I'm going on hearsay!

I feel for you mate, I'm also suffering an injury at the momnent and it sucks! Hope you recover and get back out there running soon.
OP Wonrek 15 Mar 2013
In reply to richardkeast: Yes it is the Votwo event. Ive spoken them and they're happy to transfer me and can possibly sell on my accomodation.

I'm going to make make the call but transfer to next years JCC rather than the ACC which passes my door (literally!) and doesn't hold the same appeal (think bus mans holiday)

Ive got a chest like a tin can rattling half full with marbles still so I think the choice is made.

I just need to make that call......
 jfw 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Make the call

You only get one body

You obviously like using if fully

Don't f*ck it up!

http://www.swiss-cycling.ch/files/infections_and_exercise_in_high-performan...
Fell hog 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:
Just got over flu which knocked me for six last week, can't imagine racing for some time though I am training again. It's just not worth putting your body through it, give yourself time to recover you need to be 100%, get the race calendar out and aim for another event.
 Wee Davie 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Don't do it
OP Wonrek 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Wee Davie: Sadly, very sadly I'm not. I've deferred to next years race so no huge financial loss.

London marathon in four weeks time and frikkin hoping that I can pull something out of the bag for that.....
 alicia 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:
> (In reply to Wee Davie) Sadly, very sadly I'm not. I've deferred to next years race so no huge financial loss.
>
> London marathon in four weeks time and frikkin hoping that I can pull something out of the bag for that.....

I just saw this--I think you made a good call. I just had what my doctor thinks was pneumonia (I was in India at the time so didn't get it tested) and it took about 4 weeks to really get over it. And that's with not doing much running at all while I was ill. During that same time, a friend of a friend died of pneumonia, and he (the person who died) was a fit, early 30s guy. He was feeling ill but played in an ice hockey game anyway, and died two or three days later.

On a happier note...I'm going to be in London the weekend of the marathon and was going to go watch, so I will try to give you a shout as you go by!
 Tom Last 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Hey Wonrek, sorry to hear your woes - look after yourself

You still doing 5 Tors?
OP Wonrek 19 Mar 2013
In reply to alicia: Oh no, I feel your pain (literally!) and ibet you were
like me and just soldiered on without seeking help or complaint? Looking back I think I was a lot poorlier than I even let on to myself.

First run in nearly three weeks tonight, the hills hurt, a lot! I'm hoping though that by pulling out of the JCC this weekend I'll be able to salvage something for London. If nothing else it was good for my soul to get out there, I really was becoming a bear

I'm holding you to the London support, just make sure you aim that jelly baby at the back of m head
OP Wonrek 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Wonrek)
>
> Hey Wonrek, sorry to hear your woes - look after yourself
>
> You still doing 5 Tors?

Thanks! I think I've turned the corner now and hoping it stays that way. Still got the 5Tors on my radar for sure :-D
 Tom Last 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

Good stuff, see you there! Best of luck with your recovery, sure you'll come back stronger

steveriley 21 Mar 2013
Oh, now I've got runner's remorse too. Excalibur has been cancelled this w/e because of oncoming weather. Hoping for a convenient reschedule. Enjoy your running people!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...