UKC

Boots for Alps in March/April

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Julian Prieto 14 Mar 2013
Would insulated leather boots (Sportiva Nepal Evo) be alright for climbing single day Alpine routes (specifically on Tacul eg Supercouloir) in March or April? I realise that plastics are recommended for winter Alpine climbing but I'm not sure about this time of year. I'm planning to go at Easter and don't currently have any plastic boots...
OP Julian Prieto 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Julian Prieto:
Does anyone have thoughts on this?
 vscott 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Julian Prieto: Most would probably use ski mountaineering boots for these routes at that time of year, as approaches all by ski. Otherwise, can be mild enough for 'summer' kit, or not.
 HarryB 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Julian Prieto:

Baturas work fine for me which are a similar warmth. Unless you're planning on skiing in your Nepals you might struggle getting to the routes though.
OP Julian Prieto 17 Mar 2013
In reply to HarryB:

Unfortunately I can't ski so my partner and I were thinking of hiring showshoes. I've been told that will be fine for getting to routes although it will take longer than on skis.
In reply to Julian Prieto: Snowshoes will be slow if there's fersh snow. I've climbed in Cumbres this year and last in Feb and unsurprisingly got cold feet. (Not quite frostbite...)

I was seriously considering warmer boots this year but I'm hoping I can just keep putting it off till it warms up a bit!
 David Rose 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Julian Prieto: Snowshoes will be fine. I used them many times to get to routes in places such as the Tacul before I learnt to ski, and even after fresh snow, they work.

One tip: do not be tempted to walk down the Vallee Blanche after your route. It's a long way and gets very wet towards the bottom in spring. Going back to the Midi is a slog, but in the end, easier. Best to stay at the Cosmiques and do more than one route.
 Carolyn 17 Mar 2013
In reply to davidoldfart:
> (In reply to Julian Prieto) Snowshoes will be fine. I used them many times to get to routes in places such as the Tacul before I learnt to ski, and even after fresh snow, they work.

But they may be enough tempt you to learn to ski....... I'm another who only started skiing after using snowshoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...