UKC

Asgard, Baffin Island

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ant 13 Aug 2003
Any one know anything about scotts route on Mount Asgard on Baffin island?
Please let me know
Ant
 CENSORED 13 Aug 2003
In reply to Ant: There's some info in his book Himalayan Climber
 David Reid 13 Aug 2003
In reply to CENSORED:

Is Baffin Island not in the Artic region way up in Canada??
 CENSORED 13 Aug 2003
In reply to David Reid: Almost, but as you're being a pedant I feel obliged to point out that it is in the Arctic, rather than some kind of lorry.

"Baffin Island is an Arctic wilderness located in extreme northeast Canada. The island's northeast coast faces Greenland across the Davis Strait. Its deeply indented coast fronts a tangle of spectacular glacial and ice-capped mountains. There are towers, spires and pyramids of rock and ice, with sheer and overhanging great rock walls. The rock is primarily granite, which provides excellent climbing.

Most of the finest peaks are located on the Cumberland Peninsula, at the head of the South Pangnirtung Fjord. Much of the area is included within Auyuittuq National Park, and is accessible from Pangnirtung, a small coastal Eskimo (Inuit) settlement that is increasingly catering to tourists. From here, access to the mountains is by boat, dog sleds, float-planes or ski-planes, depending on ice and weather conditions.

The best climbing is June through August, during which the rock is relatively snow-free, and a few weeks of fair weather are possible. Early in the season, daylight is limited, and snow and glacier conditions may require skis or snowshoes. The highest peak of Baffin Island is Tête Blanche (7,074 ft./2156 m). However, perhaps the most famous is Mount Asgard (6598 ft./2011 m)."

From: http://www.baffininuitart.com/English/baffinisland.htm

The book Himalayan Climber, is more of a pictorial biography of Scotts lifetime in the mountains, covering regions other than the Himalaya.
kinsei 13 Aug 2003
In reply to CENSORED:
> (In reply to David Reid) Almost, but as you're being a pedant I feel obliged to point out that it is in the Arctic, rather than some kind of lorry.

Unless it's an Iceland lorry of course. Sorry...
Simon V 13 Aug 2003
In reply to Ant:
I seem to remember reading that it was pretty much HVS all the way up?

Bob 13 Aug 2003
In reply to Ant:

See if you can find a copy of Big Wall Climbing by Doug Scott. It has some details about the Cumberland Peninsula. The book is nearly 30 years old however.

Maybe some of the US sites have topos for Baffin Island, worth searching the web.

Bob
 David Reid 13 Aug 2003
well that may be so.

but I am sure folks got the jist of what I mean't as I was also picking up on the point why would it be in a book titled 'Himalayan Climber'?? pointless title if your explaining climbing life throughout the world

CENSORED 13 Aug 2003
In reply to David Reid:
From the dust jacket:
"He has visited the ranges of the Sahara and East Africa, Iceland, the great peaks of Canada, Alaska and the Soviet union, in the process making important first ascents on Denali, Pik Lenin and Mount Kenya. He has also maintained a continuing interest in big-wall climbing in Yosemite, the Rockies, the Dolomites and Baffin Island.

But it is the Greater Himalayan range that has remained the central theme of his climbing, over twenty-six visits he has climbed in its most fabled regions."

Hence the title, plus Bonningtons book by the same publisher at the same time was called "Mountaineer", so he couldn't use that as a title, could he.

Why not admit that your pedantry was misplaced?
OP Luke 13 Aug 2003
In reply to Ant: HVS with some aid I believe and was climbed by some Yosemite speed merchants in a few hours a couple of years ago.
OP Dru 14 Aug 2003
In reply to Luke: the crux chimney goes at 5.10+/11- or you can aid up scary bolts on the outer edge. the rest of the route is mostly in the 5.8-5.9 range so yeah, HVS.
OP ant 16 Aug 2003
In reply to Dru: any idea what the route was called?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...