UKC

Wye Valley this weekend - conditions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ripper 15 Mar 2013
Anyone got any good educated guesses what the wye crags are likely to be like tomorrow and Sunday? where's likely to not get too wet or to dry quickest? or will I be spending most of my weekend in the tent/caff/pub?
 Puppythedog 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ripper: Best bet is Wyndcliffe Quarry, it's always the quickest to dry. That said I've looked at the forecast and it's not great. Good luck, post here to say how it was. Would be nice to know the conditions currently.
 dave frost 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ripper: wet, rained a lot today and its cold and still, more rain tonight, and saturday night forecast.

Cheers
Dave
 The Pylon King 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ripper:

Bits Of Symonds Yat stays dry but you need to negotiate the muddy paths!
Removed User 15 Mar 2013
In reply to The Pylon King:

I found a new crag just up the road this afternoon. Bone Dry. That said its only 5m high and 30m long and it's covered in ivy.
 The Pylon King 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed UserJohn Willson:

worth developing?
 IPPurewater 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ripper: Parts of Wyndcliff on the right hand crag stay dry due to the overhanging nature. Personally I probably wouldn't bother this weekend.
 Ian Parsons 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed UserJohn Willson:

Hi John

I was amused to read an account by Henry Barber of one of his earlier visits to East Germany (as was) during which Herbert Richter showed him his local training crag that he had basically dug out of the hillside; it was - let's say - about 10m high and 20m long. On a return visit a few years later Barber was impressed to note that, through strenuous labour on the part of his host in the interim, the dimensions had pretty much doubled! Can I lend you a spade?
 cwarby 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ripper: Hi John/WCC
The yat will have climbable routes, but seriously slippy at the bottom around certain parts i.e between introductory rocks and snoozin suzy. Wintours can dry - North/fly Wall/zelda area would be my bet (you personally need to do wurlitzer!).
What about Tintern?? Bolted and out of the wind. Contrary to some opinion there are some good routes - crystal wall. (2X 6b+**!!)
Shorn cliff will have dry routes, but you want to know the forecast is stable for the whole day to get the best of it.
As with all wye valley routes at this time of year - watch the loose stuff!!
Hope you have a good one - let me know
Chris
Removed User 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Some tough spadework would certainly add a metre or two, but I think the effort would be more profitable to my much neglected garden.
OP ripper 15 Mar 2013
In reply to cwarby: Chris! long time no see, how the hell are you? thanks for the suggestions I'll check them out - still remember you leading up Yesterday's Dreams some few years back. what you up to these days?
 Rick Sewards 15 Mar 2013
In reply to ripper:

I reckon your best chance of dry rock tomorrow is Wynd Cliff Left Hand crag (or at least, the RH end of it, where Sinew and Fibre and The Don are). If there is any sunshine in the morning that will dry out, possibly even faster than Wyndcliff Quarry. The far right end (Klute et al) of the RH crag also dries quickly, but more so later in the day.

Rick
OP ripper 15 Mar 2013
In reply to Rick Sewards: cheers Rick - just been looking at The Don in the book, does look like my kinda line, if it's in.... might well have a look at that, reckon I'd be happy with my day if I ticked it.
 dave frost 16 Mar 2013
In reply to ripper: If you could pull all the loose holds off for me that would be great

Cheers
Dave
 afshapes 16 Mar 2013
In reply dave frost . Was there the other day . Big rock fall by the pedestal area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...