UKC

Pinnacle Ridge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anyone got any information re Pinnacle Ridge
 Jamie Hageman 15 Mar 2013
In reply to The Blue Bucket:

Pinnacle Ridge Sgurr nan Gillean? Don't know
Pinnacle Ridge Garbh Bheinn? Don't know
Pinnacle Ridge St Sunday Crag? Don't know
Pinnacle Ridge Carn Dearg Meadhonach? Don't know
Pinnacle Ridge Pen Yr Ole Wen? Don't know
Pinnacle Ridge Pol Dubh? bit wet
Pinnacle Ridge Cul Mor? Don't know
 joe.91 15 Mar 2013
In reply to The Blue Bucket: Pinnacle Ridge Gable Crag? Hard, turfy, brilliant.
 Cameron94 15 Mar 2013
In reply to The Blue Bucket: You'll need to be a bit more specific...
 Jamie B 15 Mar 2013

Pinnacle Ridge at Polldubh is interesting, as it is neither pinnacled, nor is it a ridge.
 Wesley Orvis 15 Mar 2013

Doing the one in the Lakes tomorrow morning it's a grade II that is good to do in fresh powder as long as the approach isn't full of powder as it has avalanched on folk before.
 pebbles 16 Mar 2013
In reply to Wesley Orvis:
> (In reply to The Blue Bucket)
>
> Doing the one in the Lakes tomorrow

There are not one but two pinnacle ridges in th
e lakes...one on st Sunday crag, the other on great gable.
So you're still going to need to clarify a bit!
DoverPiker 16 Mar 2013
Plus the Lakes Pinnacle R's are both grade III
In reply to DoverPiker:

St Sunday crag one isn't, cos I've done it and I can't lead grade III....

Captain Solo 16 Mar 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: You must have seconded it then!
In reply to Captain Solo:

Lol, no, definitely led it, the photos are in my gallery...!

Seriously, is st Sunday PR considered a III...? I can't see it, most of it is grade I ground, and the crux is well protected and pretty short. Easier than crux of dorsal arete, and that's not a III...

Cheers

Gregor
 GPN 16 Mar 2013
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:
It's a grade II in winter, and grade 3 scramble in summer. Maybe that was causing some confusion!
Removed User 16 Mar 2013
In reply to GPN:
I have a book(lake district scrambles)that lists it as grade 3 in summer in the front and grade two in the index,whilst scrambles and easy climbs in the lake district lists it as a 2 or moderate in summer.Just to add some clarity!I think there was a big avalanche from the top slopes after the main pinnacle section aswell a couple of years ago.
 BigHell 16 Mar 2013
> (In reply to DoverPiker)
>
> St Sunday crag one isn't, cos I've done it and I can't lead grade III....

Yes depends on the conditions in the summer months its more of a 2 than a 3.
DoverPiker 16 Mar 2013
Yep sorry I meant a summer 3 not a winter III!!
 BigHell 16 Mar 2013
 Jamie B 16 Mar 2013

> St Sunday crag one isn't, cos I've done it and I can't lead grade III.

How do you know you can't lead grade III? Have you tried to? It seems a massively limiting statement, grade III should be attainable for anyone.

In reply to Jamie B:

Yes, that's true... I guess I was saying that partly for effect. I certainly intend to be trying a grade III at some point, though I haven't really had much luck getting any climbing done for a while, at this point i'd settle for just getting out on the hills in the snow for a walk never mind anything more technical...!

Cheers
Gregor
 AlH 16 Mar 2013
In reply to The Blue Bucket: Come on... put us out of our misery... I only keep coming back to this thread to find out which one you originally meant!
 Wesley Orvis 16 Mar 2013

I meant St Sunday Crag one and i found it a very hard II in the wet snow today, for the crux corner i would say it felt harder than some other III's i've done like Stepped Ridge on Browncove Crags the rest of the route felt more like grade I. In summer it's a pretty easy 3 or hard 2, not many grade 3's will i solo but pinnacle Ridge is easy in the dry, although felt much harder with axes in my hands and wet rock and soft snow.
Sorry guys meant St Sunday Crag, ended up checking Red Tarn : gullies loaded with unbonded heavy layer of snow over neve and ice. ended up doing real simple mixed rout up onto the top of Striding edge with another party who did not like the look of any on Red Tarn either. Did striding edge onto plateau down swirral and onto Catseye Cam. Once again sorry for poorly defined question!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...