Gear forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - 3-Season scrambling boots?

Taurig - on 16 Mar 2013
I may be heading out with axe and crampons tomorrow, but part of me is already looking forward to the two weeks of warm, dry weather we'll get in Scotland for 2013. :-) One item of kit that I think I need/just want is a pair of fairly light boots for scrambling and general hillwalking. I'd like to get up to Torridon, Skye and so on this year, so that kind of terrain. As good as my Scarpa SL's are as all rounders, I bought them to fit with thick Bridgedale socks, so over a certain temperature my feet literally stew in their own juices. They also aren't the lightest, and I admit it sounds like a bad workman blaming his tools, but they are a bit clumpy on harder scrambles.

I took a look at offerings from the main players and found the Scarpa Cristallo and the La Sportiva Trango S Evo. However, I can't help but think these will be too warm; although not a real winter boot, they are crampon compatible and I don't imagine they will be much different to my SL's in terms of warmth. I'd imagine they climb better, and they are a bit lighter, though.

Then there are slightly more specialized boots, like the Zamberlan Monster and the Garmont Vetta. I don't think I'd find these in my home city so it would mean a trip to Aviemore or the like. They might be less suitable for general hillwalking; the Zamberlan has a particularly low cuff.

Then part of me thinks why the hell do you need 200+ boots just to do a bit of scrambling, surely any light walking boot with a rubber rand would do? So I've also thought about the Mammut Mt Centry and the Meindl Softline, which can be found a fair bit cheaper than the 'alpine' boots above.

Sorry for the ramble, I don't have much on today! Any review of the above boots or other suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.
... not showing 18 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums