UKC

"energy drinks"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Denni 17 Mar 2013
Surely one of the most god awful things on the planet?

I see loads of school kids in the morning drinking Monster or whatever it is with 3 green stripes on it and loads of kids drinking what at first glance seems to be one of those shandy drinks but I think it is also an energy drink.

I've tried red bull once and it nearly made me throw up yet at our local cocktail happy hour, jugs of vodka and red bull. Does anyone actually like the stuff?

My friend Ricks mate Dave died of a heart attack 2 weeks agao, cause of death, apparently energy drinks. He is a bus driver and regularly drank at least 10 cans of it per 8 hour shift, 6 days a week for at least the last 6 years. That would do it I reckon.
Rigid Raider 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

At least they don't contain cocoaine like Coca-Cola once did.

....but yes, I once tasted Red Bull and thought it was even worse than Hungarian Zwack Unicum, and that tastes like engine oil.
 xplorer 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

Energy drinks are really bad, especially in the morning.

I make my own, water salt and sugar. And sometimes a bit of fruit juice.
 Sharp 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni: How can you not like red bull? Just caressing that shiny can makes me want to orgasm, that crack of the ring pull followed by the comforting hiss of that bubbly goodness reminding you of how good life is going to get in the next few minutes. Couple it with a cigarette and you're in heaven.

...plus it's got loads of vitamins in it so you're being healthy too.
 yorkshireman 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Sharp:

One of the fastest growing sectors in the non-alcoholic, ready to drink beverage market though, so somebody likes them.

Don't expect them to go away anytime soon.

FWIW, I hate most of them. Managed to find a lemonade-flavoured one that was tolerable but quite frankly give me a double espresso any time.
redsonja 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni: i hate the taste of energy drinks and they never seem to work either. sorry about your friends mate- thats terrible.
andic 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

Utterly foul drinks. And the mark of a chav.

Do they effect people's moods too? They are just sugar and stimulants so bound to fk your blood sugar up at least
 marsbar 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni: Trying to teach the little darlings when they are hyped up on caffeine and sugar is a bit of a challenge. I don't think its good for kids, it makes them hyper then moody. Long term it can't be good for them, blood sugar up and down like that.
In reply to Denni: I dont mind the taste of red bull or the others having had a can of each on one or two occasions. I very much disagree with them though. They seem to have replaced Coke, Fanta, Lilt as the teen drink of choice and whilst i have no evidence, Im sure a can of Coke is probably healthier.
 Dauphin 17 Mar 2013
In reply to andic:

Anecdotally where n=1 a large can of red bull before a 12 hour shift in A&E while pulling the 3rd or 4th consecutive night shift over the week end worked about as well as a couple of double expressos. But tastier. Generally I think the ubiquity of their availability is probably a bad thing but sugar an d caffeine who could think that was wrong?

D
KevinD 17 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer:

> I make my own, water salt and sugar. And sometimes a bit of fruit juice.

That sounds like you are making a purely isotonic sports drink which do come in useful if you are working hard, either hard run or its just damned hot.

I will occasionally use energy drinks, I aint a fan of coffee so a redbull etc works as a pick me up instead of an extra strength espresso but no more than that.
Its bizarre how they have become so popular as a standard drink.
 Bruce Hooker 17 Mar 2013
In reply to marsbar:

> Trying to teach the little darlings when they are hyped up on caffeine and sugar is a bit of a challenge. I don't think its good for kids..

Quite agree, why can't they get pissed on light and bitter and throw up all down the high street like we used to do?
 Clarence 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

That's just you Bruce. When I was at school the worst we had was full-sugar Coca Cola. I would like to know if there is a link between energy drinks and mood swings though; when I was teaching the ones that were always sucking on a red bull were usually the most violent kids.
 iksander 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni: From the urban wastelands of Whitchurch http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/news/8968067.Call_for_ban_on_Friday_nig...

From the industry: "We also do not promote, or market, such drinks to those under the age of 16."

Yah, right!
 argyle_dude 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

Most shops use to refuse to sell energy drinks to u18s. Have they stopped doing this?

I normally plump for Relentless or Monster over Red Bull and usually have a can on a night shift as a pick me up on my break, around 3am, ready for the witching hour at 4, as I don't drink tea or coffee.

10 cans on an 8 hour shift is mental, especially while bus driving. Did he take a pee break at every bus stop?
 AgentStarling 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

There are billboards advertising an energy drink called "Pussy" near my home.

http://goo.gl/XxUn1

I wonder who their target market is?
 AgentStarling 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

There are billboards advertising an energy drink called "Pussy" near my home.

http://goo.gl/XxUn1

I wonder who their target market is?
 Dauphin 17 Mar 2013
In reply to AgentStarling:
> (In reply to Denni)
>
> There are billboards advertising an energy drink called "Pussy" near my home.
>
> http://goo.gl/XxUn1
>
> I wonder who their target market is?

Hugh Hefner & his robo sex slaves by the look of the promo material. Certainly not fighting, f*cking and tea drinking hetero tigers who hale from the North.

D
KevinD 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

It has "NO CHEMICALS" which is a major break through.
 SFM 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Clarence:

Perhaps not scientifically proven...but drinking Red Bull makes me incredibly aggressive and very very violent. I basically turn into a nasty version of the Tasmanian Devil.
After probably about a can I start getting twitchy and reactive. Goes down hill rapidly from there. Needless to say I've not had any in around 10 years. I'm a long way away from being a kid too. I can only imagine what it does to the brains of hyped up youth.
 Dauphin 17 Mar 2013
In reply to dissonance:

PUSSY, it grows on trees?

D
 Clarence 17 Mar 2013
In reply to AgentStarling:

> I wonder who their target market is?

According to their website:

48,404 people like Pussy.

well, quite...
Removed User 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

Apart from it tasting foul and being bad for your health climbers should boycott Red Bull anyway:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=414883

ice.solo 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

coffees better, more caffeine, less of the sugar buzz.

for a night out, use real drugs.
 happy_c 17 Mar 2013
In reply to DenniI have to admitt, there was a time not long ago, id have a can a day . .. .. .. Although i think its more a Placebo thing, e.g. Im tired so this will perk me up, when in reality I probably would of anyway . . . .

Kids are doing worse things I suppose, on the way to work I see the same gypsy kid (presumed) one hand down his pants, and a fag! He must be 10 maybe 11!
 Dauphin 17 Mar 2013
In reply to ice.solo:

i used to think the taste of Red Bull was solely designed to take the taste of Ecstasy out of your mouth - you know back in the heady days when we used to share a pill.

D
 Darron 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

When I was a kid Lucozade was a drink your mum MADE you drink when you were poorly. A bit (or a lot) of marketing and it's an essential sports drink.
ice.solo 17 Mar 2013
In reply to Dauphin:
> (In reply to ice.solo)
>
> i used to think the taste of Red Bull was solely designed to take the taste of Ecstasy out of your mouth - you know back in the heady days when we used to share a pill.
>
ahhh the 90s. remember too people used to think taurine came from bulls glands.

and we used to laugh at how our parents went on about the 60s...

Alkis 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

A can of Relentless screws my stomach up less than two double espressos, which is the sort of thing I tend to need in the morning if I've been working silly hours.
needvert 18 Mar 2013
I have a few things to say about white collar workers feeling they need a red bull despite being confined to sitting on their gluttonous asses all day.
ice.solo 18 Mar 2013
In reply to needvert:
> I have a few things to say about white collar workers feeling they need a red bull despite being confined to sitting on their gluttonous asses all day.

me too.

whatever happened to the days they did cocaine? no wonder the economy crashed...

Alex Slipchuk 18 Mar 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:
> (In reply to Ben Sharp)
>
> One of the fastest growing sectors in the non-alcoholic, ready to drink beverage market though, so somebody likes them.
>
> Don't expect them to go away anytime soon.
>
> FWIW, I hate most of them. Managed to find a lemonade-flavoured one that was tolerable but quite frankly give me a double espresso any time.

Either that or the're heavily marketed as a less harmful and more profitable alternative to standard pish that's been farted in.

Kids think it makes them smart, it's about as smart as giving an 8 year old 2 double espressos and a packet of stanley knife blades.
New POD 18 Mar 2013
In our household I seem to have got off lightly.

17 Year old daughter only drinks water (and neat vodka on special occasions)

20 yera old son only drinks tea (no sugar), bitter and neat scotch.

Wife drinks tea, and wine, and occasionally water.

Me? Coffee, Wine, Scotch and Water.
 EeeByGum 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

> I see loads of school kids in the morning drinking Monster or whatever it is with 3 green stripes on it and loads of kids drinking what at first glance seems to be one of those shandy drinks but I think it is also an energy drink.

Are you seriously telling me that as a kid, you only used to eat apples and salad for lunch? The thing in my day was orange squash that literally glowed in the dark, blue coloured ice pops that turned your tongue blue and sherbet in long thin plastic tubs.

We had ice cream with hundreds and thousands for tea last night. What the hell happened to artificial colours? The new eco ones look pathetic in wishy washy pastel shades!
 toad 18 Mar 2013
In reply to EeeByGum: In fairness these caffeine/ taurine cocktails are slightly less innocuous than Strike Cola.
 wilkie14c 18 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:
Why would anyone want to drink fizzy bull bile is a mystery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine
In reply to Dauphin:

Yes... One of the Facebook 'followers' looks a bit dodgy from the available thumbnail...

Energy drinks? They all taste and smell like vomit to me. The only excuse for their existence is to make small alcohol burners (the Rexam 250ml cans are perfect).

Then there's the association with extreme sports: discovered a new one recently: extreme littering; drive to somewhere wild and scenic in Scotland, and chuck Red Bull cans into a ditch at the side of a lay-by...
 Quarryboy 19 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni:

People at my college drink them and dear god are they bad for general concentration. I had one once to see what it was like while trying to do some programming and felt fidgety as anything for a good hour and a half. vowed not to touch them again after that occasion.
 Joel Perkin 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Denni: Me and some mates once made a cocktail of energy drinks. Pussy, Relentless and Monster with a bit of juice.... called it 'relentless pussy monster' it was nice....
 Alkis 22 Mar 2013
In reply to Quarryboy:

Too much caffeine and sugar have that effect on you in general. If you have done the stupid thing I did and have more and more caffeine to keep yourself functional after too many days with insufficient sleep, a single can or a pint of coffee stop screwing with your concentration... with the pretty big issue that you crash without them and can't concentrate with one too many. I routinely have loads of caffeine when I program and I really need to cut down on it.

I never found energy drinks particularly different from large quantities of coffee with lots of sugar, not convinced that taurine does much.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...