Off Belay forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - A few quick questions for landlords/tennants

Dan_S - on 19 Mar 2013
I've just experienced 7 days without hot water and heating due to the failure of the boiler in my rental property (which I went through a local letting agency for)

I'm slightly miffed, and only just thawing out, but I do have a couple of quick questions for landlords and possibly other tenants:

1, 2 and 3) The repair took so long as there was a problem getting the parts required, and eventually a bodge was done to get the system up and running again. British Gas claim that the boiler failure was because the system was full of crud which has eaten away the insides of the 13 year old boiler, and suggested either a clean out of the central heating system at 700, or a new boiler at 2000 (the non-commission paid engineers preferred option due to scarcity of parts of existing boiler, and the fact it's been chewed up inside by the sludge running round the system). Do these prices seem reasonable, and due to the age of the boiler, is the engineers advise reasonable? If they are, how best to convince the letting agency/landlord do pay for the works? They currently seem happy to leave things as they are now. Which leads on to....

4) I've been in my place for 2 years now, and I don't want to move as I like the area etc. It was, externally, on the verge of being a bit shabby when I moved in, but no preventative maintenance has been done on the building, and now it's passed shabby and heading towards looking decaying. It seems normal for most landlords/letting agencies (experience: moving pretty much annually between lettings since 1998) I've used to not bother doing any preventative maintenance, and just sort things out when they fail. This seems false economy to me, so why do they do this? E.g. Despite telling the letting agency several times that the upstairs window frames needed repainting, nothing was done, to the point were the wood has rotted and is coming away in large chunks. It now looks like a new window is required.
... not showing 28 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums