/ Taking a clipstick on a flight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jmerrick21 - on 20 Mar 2013
Just wondered if anyone has taken a clipstick on a flight and had any problems?

Im thinking of putting it into a tube for some protection but im a little concerned about the length. I have a standard clipstick which is about 114cm long.

Also do i attach it to my backpack or can it go as an additional item?
Blue Straggler - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21:

Phone easyJet
Pero - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21: Is this to open and close the overhead lockers?
jmerrick21 - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Pero: Yes... yes it is
Fraser on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21:

Never tried to carry one on a flight but I'd be wary of just attaching it to your rucksack. If anything, I'd get a length of plastic drainpipe with caps at either end. At least that way it'll be somewhat protected.
owennewcastle - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to Fraser:

Guess its a short one? Mine stuck out of rucksack by about 6inches. Just put it in upside down. i.e. business end inside rucksack, handle outside. Had no problems.
Marq - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21:
On a flight to Spain we just managed to fit it inside our main hold bag diagonally and then packed everything else around it. If going on the outside I would certainly try and wrap it some how. Also if you can make it look sufficiently 'awkward' to handle then it should get put in the oversize luggage section and not rumble around on the conveyor belts which might mean it gets slightly more careful handling.

Marq
hms - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21: My clipstick is one of the ones that fold up by zig-zagging rather than a telescopic one. I bought it because it was a bit shorter than the normal telescopic version. Fits in a suitcase with ease, wrapped up inside a fleece or similar as padding. Personally I wouldn't dream of trying to get it into my hand luggage as I'm sure the security staff would think it could be employed as a weapon!
Rachel Slater - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21: My parents regularly take theirs on planes inside a tube and check it on separately. My brother does the same with his fishing rods. No issues so far.
will9911 - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21:

Just drill the rivet on the end and replace it with a nut and bolt, then when you travel, you can take the end off (blue bit) and put the stick in your hold bag.
Thinker01 - on 20 Mar 2013
In reply to will9911: I've got a 90litre duffle and my standard clipstick (not the zigzag one) fits in it ok. There's not an awful lot of spare space lengthwise but it seems to work.
willworkforfoodjnr - on 21 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21: I've always just stuck it in my bag (rucsac, only just fits! Then packed my clothes etc around it. I always worry about it, and it always arrives fine.
jmerrick21 - on 21 Mar 2013
In reply to will9911:
ah thats a good idea, thanks will have a look into that
john arran - on 21 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21:

Well if you're flying to Ariège you may not have to solve this particular problem as we now have several brand new Beta Sticks to rent to guests.
Blue Straggler - on 21 Mar 2013
In reply to john arran:

I think the OP is flying to Sardinia John. Thanks though!
bpmclimb - on 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21:
> Just wondered if anyone has taken a clipstick on a flight and had any problems?
>

I misread your post at first glance - thought you said a fight! Wouldn't be my first choice - although I suppose you could strap a knife to the end, or dip it in poison maybe.

ads.ukclimbing.com
The Ivanator - on 22 Mar 2013
In reply to jmerrick21: Buy a compact clipstick? Long enough for all but the most necky of bolting and only measures 69cm compressed (easily fits in a rucksack/kitbag) I used one in the Costa Blanca recenly and only found one route where a bolt was out of reach.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.