UKC

3.5 months to climb/ travel - where shall I go?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Oswald 20 Mar 2013
Hi.

From Septemberish I have about 3.5 months to climb and travel.
I'm interested in suggestions as to where to go, my criteria are:

Not too hot/ rainy between September and December
Not a "Western" country

Any suggestions which aren't the obvious ones would be great.
cheers
James
In reply to James Oswald: Patagonia.
 martinph78 20 Mar 2013
In reply to James Oswald: Peru
 Jon Stewart 20 Mar 2013
In reply to James Oswald:

Why not travel all the way down the Andes, ending in Patagonia? I'd recommend spending a good bit of time in Bolivia.
 1234None 21 Mar 2013

Asia? Maybe Nepal for mountaineering in October/November. It should be getting drier by then. Then head on to Thailand, Laos, China, Malaysia, Vietnam etc for some sport climbing the tail end of November/December.
OP James Oswald 21 Mar 2013
A third criteria is that it needs to be easy to find climbing partners. I know that Thailand would fit this one but I think it might not be the best time of year to go...

Cheers for the suggestions, further ones are welcomed.
 Rog Wilko 22 Mar 2013
In reply to James Oswald: Every climber should go to Mt Arapiles in Australia at least once in their career.
 Derry 22 Mar 2013
> (In reply to James Oswald)
> A third criteria is that it needs to be easy to find climbing partners. I know that Thailand would fit this one but I think it might not be the best time of year to go...
>
> Cheers for the suggestions, further ones are welcomed.

Thailand is great around the end of the year. Monsoon finishes on the west coast around October so you'd have plenty of time for lots of climbing. The east coast has its monsoon in November so you could head to Koh Tao for lots of granite bouldering before sport climbing in Ton Sai.

OP James Oswald 24 Mar 2013
Thank you
 Trangia 24 Mar 2013

You must include South Africa. Loads of top quality climbing and treking.
 Jon Stewart 24 Mar 2013

My advice is not to plan your whole trip around some limestone bolt-clipping in a holiday resort. I'd think about somewhere you really want to travel, and then work out how to fit some climbing in along the way.

You can go on climbing trips for the rest of your life, but you may not have the chance to spend months just travelling ever again.

You won't get much stimulation from climbing somewhere that's full of English-speaking climbers, but going to the arse end of nowhere, where pretty much no one has even seen a white guy before, could be a really fulfilling experience. If it was me, I'd maybe try to finish my trip with some climbing, but I wouldn't plan it around that. Trekking in the Himalayas or the Andes on the hand I would definitely plan a trip around.
OP James Oswald 26 Mar 2013
Cheers everyone!
silo 26 Mar 2013
In reply to James Oswald: How about starting in the US( i know its western but it's got some great climbing) then head to mexico.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...