UKC

smoothie/milkshake revelation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goosebump 21 Mar 2013
I really HATE milk. Always have, minging cloying minging stuff (except in tea. A necessary evil).

However, I have recently discovered the delight that is hazelnut milk + banana + yoghurt (ideally coconut, but plain is good too)smoothie.
Its so lush I felt it important enought to share with UKC.

I just went for a run solely so I could make one and drink it from the jug in the style of Lester Burnham from American Beauty
 Banned User 77 21 Mar 2013
In reply to goosebump: Aye.. I use soy increasingly.. great for smoothies too.
 ripper 21 Mar 2013
In reply to goosebump: Used to drink soy in smoothies etc but its pretty minging compared to rice, almond or hazelnut milk, they all taste yum even on their own. and soy makes you grow moobs too. allegedly.

To the OP - try throwing in a handful of frozen blueberries
OP goosebump 21 Mar 2013
In reply to ripper:
Im working my way through the milk alternatives. Hazelnut milk is really good but bears no relation to milk at all (cant help thinking it would also be good in a cocktail, with vodka or maybe something orangey), and both soy and almond milk are pretty ok.

Oatmilk is a no-no - my fella described it as "basically, oat bathwater". He is right. And on that basis, Im giving rice milk a miss since it sounds as worthy-tasting as the oat stuff (and I cant shift thinking about the drained rice goo at the bottom of saucepans...)!

But I bet you are right about the blueberries - we have no freezer but have two bushes, so when the season is here Im on it.

Oh, and Im a girl so growing boobs is no bad thing
 ripper 21 Mar 2013
In reply to goosebump:
> (In reply to ripper)
>
> Oh, and Im a girl so growing boobs is no bad thing

In that case stick to the soy, religously!

Until my blender broke I used to have a smoothie like this for breakfast most days - base was soy/rice/nut 'milk', a banana and some blueberries or other berries, other ingredients depending on what I had in and how hungry I was: scoop of porridge oats, a raw egg, ground almonds, flax seeds, fruit juice, good blob of peanut butter, tinned pineapple - pretty much anything really
 kate8 21 Mar 2013
In reply to goosebump:

I haven't tried any other milk alternatives except for rice milk 'Rice Dream' and I love it. At first I likened it to liquidised rice cakes with a hint of sugar, and really liked it then. Now, 2 weeks later, I don't notice any difference from drinking cows milk except that it doesnt leave any nasty aftertaste. So I'm hooked now.
 freerangecat 21 Mar 2013
In reply to kate8:
> (In reply to goosebump)
>
> I haven't tried any other milk alternatives except for rice milk 'Rice Dream' and I love it. At first I likened it to liquidised rice cakes with a hint of sugar, and really liked it then. Now, 2 weeks later, I don't notice any difference from drinking cows milk except that it doesnt leave any nasty aftertaste. So I'm hooked now.

Does rice milk taste ok in tea? I use sweetened soy (or occasionally oat) milk in cereal but stick to cow's milk for tea. Haven't tried rice milk, it seems a bit... wrong... somehow
 kate8 21 Mar 2013
In reply to freerangecat:
Its a bit watery to make as much of a difference as milk does in tea but I havent properly tied it. I felt guilty 'wasting' it on tea as it tastes nice on its own and I'm going through cartons quicker than I would like.
 kate8 21 Mar 2013

yes it does taste fine in tea - I was just reluctant to put much in when I tried it.
 dave frost 21 Mar 2013
In reply to freerangecat: Is rec/haxelnut/etc milk much more expensive than normal milk ?
 dave frost 21 Mar 2013
In reply to freerangecat: and where did you get it ? im in need of a cow milk alternative or my shake addiction as well.

I put ground flax and wheatgerm in mine as well as the banana and oats soaked in yoghurt. Cant get through a morning without it.
 JayPee630 21 Mar 2013
In reply to dave frost:

Rice milk is one of those things that pretends to be healthy, but if you look at the sugar content you'll know why it tastes so nice, it's loaded with sugars, totally not good for you!
 freerangecat 21 Mar 2013
In reply to dave frost:

I use Tesco own brand UHT sweetened soya, which is 69 p a litre, so cheaper than fresh cow's milk. The sweetened Tesco value stuff is 59 p and ok but not great. Other types are up to £1.60/L
 kate8 21 Mar 2013
In reply to dave frost:
Rice Dream is £1.39 ish for a 1 litre carton in sainsburys and tesco. They put it in the 'free from' sections as you don't need it in a fridge until its opened. Morrisons are selling 2 cartons for £2 at the moment.
 freerangecat 21 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:
> (In reply to dave frost)
>
> Rice milk is one of those things that pretends to be healthy, but if you look at the sugar content you'll know why it tastes so nice, it's loaded with sugars, totally not good for you!

Think I'll stick to my current soya on cereal and cow's in tea then... I don't have a big problem with dairy, but cheese gives me stomach ache and yogurts make me feel sick, so I try to limit it.
 kate8 21 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:
Can't see sugar anywhere in the ingredients for Rice Dream. Its just rice, calcium phosphate, sunflower oil and vitamins.
 Steve John B 21 Mar 2013
>
> I use Tesco own brand UHT sweetened soya, which is 69 p a litre, so cheaper than fresh cow's milk.

I get 1% cow's milk (kind of halfway between skimmed and semi-skimmed), for some reason it's always £1 for 4 pints - even cheaper than Savers soya milk. Obviously if you don't like milk or you're a vegan it's not an option...
 freerangecat 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Steve John B:

I get Tesco value skimmed UHT, which is 53p/L. Didn't mention it above as it's probably not many people's idea of 'milk'. I like it though, started buying it as a student when I realised it was cheap and I could stock up on it easily and got hooked!
 JayPee630 21 Mar 2013
In reply to kate8:

Natural sugars, but still a glass of it has more than your daily limit of those, like fruit juice doesn't have added, but still is not healthy - despite the general belief that it is.
 kate8 21 Mar 2013
Its sugar free, has vitamins and calcium, and tasty
I'd recommend trying it
http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/rice-dream-organic-rice-milk-1litre.html
 freerangecat 21 Mar 2013
In reply to kate8:
> (In reply to freerangecat)
> Its sugar free, has vitamins and calcium, and tasty
> I'd recommend trying it
> http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/rice-dream-organic-rice-milk-1litre.html

Does it have added calcium etc? As I understand it the organic dairy alternatives don't. Something to be wary of...
 kate8 21 Mar 2013
In reply to JayPee630:

Natural sugars? I'll have to read up on that
 freerangecat 21 Mar 2013

Sorry, just realised you said it has calcium but linked to the non-fortified one, so you are probably getting the calcium-containing one. Though it best to leave my previous message, as it is something to remember if cutting out dairy.
 kate8 21 Mar 2013
yes added calcium. Its not organic though
 freerangecat 21 Mar 2013
In reply to kate8:
> (In reply to JayPee630)
>
> Natural sugars? I'll have to read up on that

Looking at the nutritional values there's nearly twice as much sugar per 100 ml in that as in sweetened soya milk.
 Shani 21 Mar 2013
>
> I use Tesco own brand UHT sweetened soya, which is 69 p a litre, so cheaper than fresh cow's milk. The sweetened Tesco value stuff is 59 p and ok but not great. Other types are up to £1.60/L

Cheap food WILL carry a heavy cost somewhere - perhaps in terms of quality or perhaps in terms of animal welfare.

Soya milk is also one of those highly processed foofs we should avoid. Alpro Unsweetened soya milk ingredients are: Water, Hulled soya beans (6,5%), Acidity regulators (Dipotassium phosphate, Monopotassium phosphate), Calcium carbonate, Maltodextrin, Stabiliser (Gellan gum), Vitamins (Riboflavin, B12, D2). Maltodextrin is a starch based polysaccharide - probably wheat based.
 kate8 21 Mar 2013
Ah sorry if I used the wrong link. This is the one I have...
http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/403123_Rice_Dream...

kate8 21 Mar 2013
Ah ok. Well it does taste sweet! I've been meaning to try soya milk as well. I may end up alternating.
 Shani 21 Mar 2013
Soya and all vegetable (actually 'seed') oils are refined using hexane. This is poisonous stuff. Kind of goes against soya milk's cosy 'green' image.
 Shani 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Shani:
> Soya and all vegetable (actually 'seed') oils are refined using hexane. This is poisonous stuff. Kind of goes against soya milk's cosy 'green' image.

So hexane is also used in the manufacture of the rice milk linked above.
 kate8 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Shani:
what is best to drink then?
 Run_Ross_Run 21 Mar 2013
In reply to goosebump:
Try banana, peanut butter and melon.

NorthernGrit 21 Mar 2013
In reply to Shani:

Not this again.

Hexane is NOT used in the processing of ALL soya beans at all.

Also, there is no evidence that I know of that suggests that the levels present in those that do cause any real level of harm anyway. You ingest far more nasty hydrocarbons just walking down the road.
 Shani 21 Mar 2013
> (In reply to Shani)
> what is best to drink then?

I'm not judging your beverage, just illuminating some of what the food processing manufacturers and marketeers don't want you to know, and to enable you to make an informed decision.
 Shani 21 Mar 2013
In reply to NorthernGrit:
> (In reply to Shani)
>
> Not this again.
>
> Hexane is NOT used in the processing of ALL soya beans at all.
>
> Also, there is no evidence that I know of that suggests that the levels present in those that do cause any real level of harm anyway. You ingest far more nasty hydrocarbons just walking down the road.

I didn't say all soya.
 freerangecat 21 Mar 2013
In reply to NorthernGrit:
> (In reply to Shani)
>
... You ingest far more nasty hydrocarbons just walking down the road.

I've a Chemistry degree/PhD, I came into contact with enough solvents in 8 years to not care about possible trace amounts my soya milk!
 ripper 21 Mar 2013
In reply to goosebump:
Alpro almond and hazelnut milk is usually on offer, 3x 1-litre cartons for 3 quid, in my local waitrose
 ohsmeg 22 Mar 2013
In reply to goosebump:
As a vegan, I've used soya (and other non-dairy) milks for years. And yes they do make lovely smoothies.
As a woman, I have to say that the alleged boob increase is not guaranteed. *shrugs resignedly* Still, as I tell my husband, at least they won't hang round my waist when I'm old.
 ripper 22 Mar 2013
In reply to ohsmeg: my mrs likes to tell me 'they don't make diamonds as big as bricks'
In reply to Shani:

I can guarantee all of my oils are hexane free. As with all things, if you don't buy quality, what do you expect? *coughhorsecough*

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...