UKC

Winter 35l pack with excellent weight transfer to hips?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 monkeys 23 Mar 2013
Got a knackered lumbar spine, so good weight transfer to hips crucial.
Pack must be suited to carrying winter weights for hours on end.
Preferably unfussy design, with minimal features, except an easily accesible large pocket somewhere e.g in lid for quick access.
Haglofs Rock Ice 35 and Roc 35 seemed to fit the bill, but difficult to find and some criticisms of back comfort from some.
Any good experiences to share in winter pack choice ?. Thanks very much
 Chay 23 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys: I have a Black Diamond speed 40, they also do a 30 but no 35l.

Anyway, the back is extremely comfortable, it features a "swing arm" on the waist band; it's like an elastic feature that stops the back swinging on your back and shifting the weight and shock loading your back. Makes the load extremely stable and through the hips.

Very simple design, large lid pocket.

I love mine.
C
OP monkeys 23 Mar 2013
In reply to Chay:
Thanks Chay. Does the top of the pack not restrict head movement, especially with helmet? Looks tall.
 Nathan Adam 23 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys: The Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack is a good pack, bomber design and is super clean and simple. I have the 45:55 but the 35:45 is exactly the same, just smaller. Really good pack from what i've used it so far !
 Chay 23 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys: I've had it pretty full on big winter days and it's never bothered me; I can't say I've ever noticed restricted movement, that's not to say that the problem doesn't exist- like most kit it's a personal thing: perhaps have a wee gander of online reviews, see if anyone else notices a problem?

I find it a really god piece of kit, anyway. The lid and the plastic back can be detached and the roll top main bag can be used on it's own, this cuts it down to a really light and fast bag for say summit days from huts or whatever.

So many bags on the market, there's the age old classic Pod (Black ice?) that's always been up there for winter climbing.

C
 David Barratt 23 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys: Osprey Mutant 38. Go in and ask to weight it with a load of rope or something. they should oblige.
 butteredfrog 23 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys:

Deuter Guide 35+, not the lightest but well thought out features, bombproof and very comfy.
matejn 23 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys: Take a look at the Ortovox packs at their web page. They claim that their back system was developed with the help from the medical center for spine in Munich.
Simon Wells 23 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys:

http://www.aarnpacks.com/

This might work, I have used some, very comfortable, but a little to 'fussy' for day in day out work as an instructor. So I got rid off mine apart from the marathon one for ......mountain marathons.
 vark 23 Mar 2013
In reply to butteredfrog:
> (In reply to monkeys)
>
> Deuter Guide 35+, not the lightest but well thought out features, bombproof and very comfy.

+1

Adam15 23 Mar 2013
In reply to David Barratt:
> (In reply to monkeys) Osprey Mutant 38. Go in and ask to weight it with a load of rope or something. they should oblige.

Agree, Mutant 38 did me with a full winter kit and was comfortable
OP monkeys 24 Mar 2013
In reply to Adam15:
Thanks folks for the great suggestions. Osprey Mutant seems to fit the bill. Off to take a look today. Rarely is the Osprey 37 Variant mentioned in comparison to the Mutant, but that too seems a great pack, with useful winter features like glove friendly buckles etc
OP monkeys 24 Mar 2013
In reply to monkeys:
Thanks all for your help. Osprey Mutant is a fine bit of kit.
Bought today, and very pleased with it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...