UKC

Liars and fantasists

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 25 Mar 2013
As a regular reader of UKC I often read stuff, be it athletic achievement, professional expertise of something else that very obviously fits in to one or other of these categories. I guess we have all met some bullsh*ttersover the years, but it seems more common on here, maybe a result of the medium.

Any thoughts? Although please dont and embarrass any current UKC users.
Removed User 25 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB:

How would you judge this?
OP The New NickB 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User:

Usually just various claims over time that don't add up, although all sorts of things are verifiable if you can be bothered to look, which ocassionally can be.
 EeeByGum 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Deviant: But just because people have different views they feel passionately about, does not mean they are lying. You have stated two opinions in your response above

1. That Britain will never give up the Falklands or Malvinas as some would say.
2. That the Catholic Church is undefendable

Both are simple opinions. Neither are fact. Many others would disagree. Is there something wrong with that?

In response to the OP. I think there are differing ways that people use the forum. Some talk on it as they would down the pub after a couple of pints, exaggerating the facts (as you do) to make the point. Others seem to disregard the debate in favour of just picking holes in other people's arguments. Either way, this forum in my experience is full of people who do rather dull / repetitive jobs (myself included) and have nothing better to do that jot idle rubbish on these forums. I think I write the equivalent of several novels a year on here which is a bit sad I suppose.
 AlisonSmiles 25 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: you're clearly not a member of singletrackworld.
KevinD 25 Mar 2013

might it be its easier to check up? That plus subtleties get lost and so something which is meant as a pisstake doesnt have the facial expressions/body language or tone to make it clear?
 Frank4short 25 Mar 2013
In reply to AlisonSmiles:
> (In reply to The New NickB) you're clearly not a member of singletrackworld.

It's funny cause I've never particularly thought about it, though now that you've mentioned it, I can't help but think of all of the serial bike buyers/builders/racers/downhillers/freeriders/etc that you get over on STW and the fact that a significant proportion of the time when you here them going on you just file it away under a load of shite. Yet round these parts by and large I take what people say at face value with the exception of certain individuals on extreme ends of the spectrum who have just disappeared up their own wholes.
 Richard Carter 25 Mar 2013

"As a regular reader of UKC I often read stuff, be it athletic achievement, professional expertise of something else that very obviously fits in to one or other of these categories."

No really, I am THAT good!
 BigBrother 25 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: Two examples stick in my mind. The first is that whenever there is a thread on IQ it seems that the average score on UKC is around 180.

The funniest one was a thread about pee bottles. There was predictable claims about how wide an opening was needed but there was also bizarre competitive claims about how large a capacity the posters needed. Quite why they thought needing a 2l capacity pee bottle to last a night was anything to boast about I wasn't sure.
 AlisonSmiles 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Frank4short: I stopped short of suggesting he check out guinealynx forum for guinea pig owners ... a bit niche I suspect.
 tlm 25 Mar 2013

> Any thoughts? Although please dont and embarrass any current UKC users.

I've never noticed it? Maybe you are seeing what you expect to see?

In reply to tlm:
> (In reply to The New NickB)
>
> [...]
>
> I've never noticed it? Maybe you are seeing what you expect to see?

I am not sure I expect to see it, I just see it sometimes.
The Papa Lazarou 25 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: live & let live.....why let it bother you(if it does as you never mentioned if it did or did not) climb for yourself & be true to yourself are my feelings on it. have met some 'monumental bullshi**ers' along the way & always found myself pittying there need to do it really
In reply to The Papa Lazarou: their need as opposed to there need sorry
 Timmd 25 Mar 2013
In reply to The Papa Lazarou:
> (In reply to The New NickB) live & let live.....why let it bother you(if it does as you never mentioned if it did or did not) climb for yourself & be true to yourself are my feelings on it. have met some 'monumental bullshi**ers' along the way & always found myself pittying there need to do it really

Well said.
In reply to The Papa Lazarou:

It doesn't, I find it interesting really.
 Tyler 25 Mar 2013
In reply to BigBrother:

> Quite why they thought needing a 2l capacity pee bottle to last a night was anything to boast about I wasn't sure.

The one that always puzzles me are the people who join every thread on Extreme Rock (the book) to point out that copies are '*always* turning up in charity shops' and 'they've seen three of them in the last month'. They may be telling the truth in which case I suspect the original plates weren't lost but were stolen by a cabal of British Heart Foundation, NSPCC and RSPCA.
 Steve John B 25 Mar 2013
In reply to BigBrother:
> (In reply to The New NickB) T
>
> The funniest one was a thread about pee bottles. There was predictable claims about how wide an opening was needed

Yeah but some people like to get their balls in there as well

argyle_dude 25 Mar 2013

I'm far too busy putting up new E9s to post made up acheivements on UKC.

In reply to The New NickB: yes me too. I imagine people do it out of low self esteem/self worth as a way to 'boost' their self image & their peers opinion of them (not as I am in any way qualified to do so) but find it cruelly ironic as in most cases I have witnessed most of the recipients of their untruths easily see through them & ridicule them for it & certainly don't think any better of them
 DaveHK 25 Mar 2013

There have been a few classic fantasists on UKC over the years:

Callum Nicol
Si O'Connor (part of a much wider fantasy!)
That dude that said he'd done Guerdon Grooves.

Genuinely deluded individuals but highly entertaining.

Any others?

Wiley Coyote2 25 Mar 2013

I don't know about that but as I said to Neil Armstrong as we landed on the Moon.....
andrew breckill 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Steve John B:
> (In reply to BigBrother)
> [...]
>
> Yeah but some people like to get their balls in there as well

Whenever pee bottles are mentioned I have to bring wide mouth nalgenes to the table. Its my puerile humour.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Mar 2013
In reply to The New NickB: I started a thread about this a while back, but about life in general, not just on UKC. There were some cracking stories.
Removed User 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Submit to Gravity:
> (In reply to The New NickB) I started a thread about this a while back, but about life in general, not just on UKC. There were some cracking stories.

Seriously, though, how do you know (or think you know) that someone is bullsh**ing. It is easier to read people when you can see them face to face but on here?

TBH, I take everyone's claims as honest and if I find out they have been lying then I just feel sorry for them.
 TobyA 25 Mar 2013
In reply to BigBrother:

> The funniest one was a thread about pee bottles. There was predictable claims about how wide an opening was needed but there was also bizarre competitive claims about how large a capacity the posters needed. Quite why they thought needing a 2l capacity pee bottle to last a night was anything to boast about I wasn't sure.

This winter whilst camping I've been seriously considering getting a pee bottle, getting out of bed at -20 just isn't fun. And thinking about it I can sort of see why wide mouth (you absolutely want to be sure everything is pointing into the bottle so no splashes) and a large capacity (you don't want it to actually reach down enough to touch the pee!) could be necessary, although its all quite disturb to dwell on!

My favourite one, which isn't really a lie or a fantasy, is people who insist on giving windchill figures, as if that's what the temperature really was. Windchill is a bit of bollocks idea anyway considering few people go naked rambling in winter, but clearly saying "it was a windchill of -15!" sounds more impressive of saying there was a light frost and gusty winds.
 Yanis Nayu 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Removed User: I've never thought of anyone on here as a bullshitter. I've thought a few people could maybe be more modest, but it's not their fault they're not as perfect as I am.

The bullshitters I've met in real life left you in no doubt that they were bullshitters!
 TobyA 25 Mar 2013
In reply to DaveHK:

> Callum Nicol

At least from his blog Callum came over more as just a bit odd and a happy dreamer than a fantasist. I wonder how his climbing has been going recently - he hasn't updated the blog in ages.
andrew breckill 25 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA: depends on the conditions I'd add, at -20 I'd do it (get out the bag that is) but when the weathers really closed in on you I don't know what I'd do to be honest. I took my sleeping bag, tarp and bivy sack upto stickle tarn thursday night, started off cold and clear, needed to pee, and got out of the bag to do so, 2 hours later though, wind is very strong, gusting to gale force at times, no way would I have been able to do anything about the call of nature. How much warmer is the snow line compared to your old lightline? I am wondering if its worth adding more down to mine you see, and there is a company in the lakes that do it.
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserSubmit to Gravity)
> [...]
>
> Seriously, though, how do you know (or think you know) that someone is bullsh**ing. It is easier to read people when you can see them face to face but on here?
>
> TBH, I take everyone's claims as honest and if I find out they have been lying then I just feel sorry for them.

In real life people don't record everything for posterity, so if you think someone is stating something that completely contradicts something they said a month previously on here you can go and check. I am aware of at least one current poster who is a well known poster from the past that has come back as a completely different character.
 Steve John B 25 Mar 2013
> I am aware of at least one current poster who is a well known poster from the past that has come back as a completely different character.

Well...?
 Tom Last 25 Mar 2013
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Dave Kerr)
>
> [...]
>
> At least from his blog Callum came over more as just a bit odd and a happy dreamer than a fantasist. I wonder how his climbing has been going recently - he hasn't updated the blog in ages.

To be fair, didn't he walk across Vatnajökull not long ago? Not bad going...
 Skyfall 25 Mar 2013

What like claiming national/olympic levels of boxing, running, F9a's .... ?

I just had to say it, sorry.
 Reach>Talent 25 Mar 2013

You doubting my ascent of la dura dura in ski boots: Would you care to step outside?
 Tom Last 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to TobyA)
> [...]
>
> To be fair, didn't he walk across Vatnajökull not long ago? Not bad going...

Also, I couldn't help but wish he'd set up his burger stall by the CIC hut the other week whilst I was feeling a little peckish on Comb Gully!
andrew breckill 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Southern Man: I often wondered if a hotdog stall would do a roaring trade at the trig point on good days, fresh coffee and a dog sir? A Bain Marie and a couple of stoves.
 tony 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Southern Man:
> (In reply to Southern Man)
> [...]
>
> Also, I couldn't help but wish he'd set up his burger stall by the CIC hut the other week whilst I was feeling a little peckish on Comb Gully!

Judging by his recent thread asking for directions to the Hutchinson Hut, he may be scouting out the Cairngorms for his catering activities rather than Ben Nevis.
In reply to BigBrother:

> Quite why they thought needing a 2l capacity pee bottle to last a night was anything to boast about I wasn't sure.

I've come uncomfortably close to filling a 2 pint (1.135l) milk bottle after a night in the pub, so a 2l bottle might be useful. It's not a boast, merely recording the weakness of my bladder and ability of my kidneys to remove excess fluid from my body... I'd much rather be able to lie in bed in peace at night, only to emerge in the morning and hose down the campsite...
andrew breckill 26 Mar 2013
In reply to captain paranoia: it's easy done capt'n I stick to single malt with a splash of water these days, after a similar experience.
 Milesy 26 Mar 2013
I only drink single malts at huts and bothies now. The hassle of getting out a sleeping bag and getting to the toilet to pee every hour during the night that comes with wine and beer is a pain.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...