UKC

Ice conditions in the Peak

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 brownie0705 25 Mar 2013
Anyone know what the conditions are like in the Peak District? Wildboar Clough, shining Clough, Wilderness Gullies and Near, Middle and Far black cloughs?

Looking at possibly getting out this week when woodhead pass re-opens

Thanks
outdoorsperson 25 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: Did Wildboar today. It is do-able but would be better with another night's freeze. Still - good day out despite wet feet.
OP brownie0705 25 Mar 2013
In reply to outdoorsperson: Thanks for the info I may have a look tomorrow tea time if I get chance
 Deezel65 26 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: Did you get up to Wildboar today? If so what are the conditions like? Cheers
OP brownie0705 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Deezel65: Hi we didn't get as we couldn't get there from the Huddersfield side as the roads were closed still unfortunately.
 Swiss Tony 26 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: Drove past today on the woodhead & the main pitch could be seen from the road & looked complete, was tempted to go up but didn't fancy it in my brogues & next suit
 colinnave 27 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705:
Did Wildboar Clough late afternoon yesterday (Tues). It was thawing somewhat so a bit insecure in places but otherwise very good. Very insecure where the snow was lying on top of thin ice over the pools of water - went right through a couple of times!
Probably best to do it early morning or at night by headtorch.

ROB W 28 Mar 2013
Just been up to Mam Tor 9.30am Thursday 28th,very little in the way of snow,and what is there is of no use for upward movement,the turf is quite well frozen, as expected everything else is what it normaly is.Stayed just left of the main central gully.Was ok for a spot of short sport,but not worth a long'ish drive.Heading up to Kinder tommorrow, Friday.
 Eddie1234 29 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: Check out http://roebuckmountaineering.co.uk/blog/ for a conditions update on Kinder Downfall and Crowden Clough including pictures.
Oliiver 29 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: went up crowden today it's in condition but water running behind some of it. There's been a lot of thaw of the snow recently so it really needs a good freeze
 Deezel65 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver: I did Shining Clough today, had to miss the big fall as lots of water running over it and didn't fancy trusting what was there. The rest above was not bad although thin in places, definitely thawing now!
 Lukeva 30 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: are there any access problems with roads up to Kinder area? Was considering Crowden Clough early Monday morning, any views on likely conditions?
 xplorer 30 Mar 2013
In reply to Lukeva:

No road problems. It's warming up, but with cold night temps it could be possible
 Lukeva 30 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: Maybe stick with plan a and head to N Wales. Do you think it will be stripping with warmer temps?
 xplorer 30 Mar 2013
In reply to Lukeva:

It was still frozen this morning, but with water running behind. The biggest I've ever seen it. Check the temps over the next two nights. Use www.buxtonweather.co.uk

xplorer 30 Mar 2013
In reply to Lukeva:

I may be around that area tomorrow, I'll let you know
 Lukeva 30 Mar 2013
In reply to xplorer: much appreciated. Thanks
greencaubeen 30 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: I did Wildboar Clough today in fantastic conditions. Shining Clough really needs a good freeze to get the bottom pitch in.
 JFH 30 Mar 2013
In reply to greencaubeen:
see this link for an Avalanche which happened in Winnats Pass yesterday ( Friday)
http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/avalanche
 PieMan 30 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705:
Crowden Clough main waterfall was in great nick today. Also descended Nether Red Brook (good, but wary of avalanche risk, don't know if justified!) and went up the lower right branch, but apart from the upper section, the latter is deep snow but no ice. Great day though.
Oliiver 30 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: what's red brook like ATM I've never been up it. How does it compare to crowden?
 PieMan 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver:
> (In reply to brownie0705) what's red brook like ATM I've never been up it. How does it compare to crowden?

The main gully is banked out with snow right now, so it's a nice steep Grade I snow climb (glad I did in descent tbh). The lower right branch was a bit disappointing as there was no ice at all on the main step (which could be like Crowden if there was) but a nice narrow gully/chimney finish which was iced up - Grade I, we soloed it.
 pec 31 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: Just to report Crowden Clough is still in good nick, climbed it this afternoon and still good despite bright sunshine. Not very difficult I/II perhaps and short lived, main bit 20 or 30 feet and a few short steps above but a pleasant excursion if you're in the area.
Oliiver 31 Mar 2013
In reply to brownie0705: in terms of difficulty, you think crowden is harder/easier than red brook? Really want to try it but since. I'm going solo I'm a bit wary
 Swiss Tony 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Oliiver: both are grade i & straight forward ice scrambles, crowden could claim to have a ii 4-5 metre pitch but is easily escapable by stepping to the side, at worst a easy day out soloing
 pec 02 Apr 2013
In reply to brownie0705: If anyone's still after a last winter fix, Wildboar Clough is still in (climbed it this afternoon) and by the sounds of the post above, in better nick now than a few days ago.
Given the forecast and its shady North facing aspect, it could be there a few days yet, but an early start or night time ascent would help.
Ice climbing in the Peak in April, whatever next?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...