/ Do any other animals sing in unison?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tlm - on 25 Mar 2013
Do any other animals join together to make music? I know birds sing, but isn't that usually on their own to mark territory or to get a mate - so it is a competitive, rather than a unifying experience.

It feels such a primeval thing for humans to make music together - not just singing, but playing instruments. There must be other animals that do it...
Pursued by a bear - on 25 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm: Wolves.

T.
tlm - on 25 Mar 2013
Pursued by a bear - on 25 Mar 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear: They use rib bones from the corpses of lonely travellers as drumsticks.

Though I don't think the word 'music' as humans understand it is useful when considering other species. They do their best with what they've got, whether that's a damn good howl, banging things together or tweeting when the sun comes up.* You're average bullfrog may consider Bach's well-tempered clavier to be din beyond endurance.

T.
* or not, in Warrington.
Ridge - on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm:
Penguins. I saw a film about it, one could even dance.
Lurking Dave - on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Ridge: Cockroaches, seek out the documentary "Joe's Apartment" a fascinating insight to the dynamic social structure of these creatures.

Cheers
LD
Philip on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Lurking Dave:

Frogs sing together like a chorus. I saw a video when I was young.
Trangia - on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm:

Sea gulls
Tony Naylor on 26 Mar 2013
Pursued by a bear - on 26 Mar 2013
ring ouzel on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm: I hear that whales like a good tune - mainly sea shanties I understand.
Pursued by a bear - on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Tony Naylor: Damn, those mice are getting down with the drum and bass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDa3j_53FUo

T.
Al Evans on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Pursued by a bear: Guanaco (I think thats what small Llamas are called) hum together. It's a very strange but endearing note, they all seem to sing in tune?
ads.ukclimbing.com
Tony Naylor on 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm:
And then there's hamsters, of course:

http://www.findmyhosting.com/web-hamster/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.