UKC

Blaueis bouldering in Germany, where?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
sam stephenson 14 Aug 2003
Does anybody know where the glacier bouldering spot called Blaueis (Blue Ice) is. It is the famousish bouldering spot popularised by Klem Loskot etc. I can find topos for it, once you get to the glacier and I know which town it is near. But I am not keen to walk uphill for 2 hours to find out I was looking at the wrong mountain.
Any ideas?
 Adam Lincoln 14 Aug 2003
In reply to sam stephenson:

www.blaueishuette.de

All in German I'm afraid, but if you go to "downloads" there is a pdf document specifically devoted to bouldering.

that should put you on the right track.

It's in the Hochkalter range of the Berchtesgaden Alps. 2 to 3 hours walk from Ramsau or Hintersee.
Dub Bwoay 14 Aug 2003
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

have you been there? are the landings as bad as you would expect on an old glacier?
 Adam Lincoln 14 Aug 2003
In reply to Dub Bwoay:

No not been, but seen loads of clips of the bouldering there. It looks like the landings are similar to the likes of places like Porth Ysgo and Angel Bay
Johno 14 Aug 2003
In reply to sam stephenson:

nearest biggish German town is Bad Reichenhall, nearest Austrian one is Salzburg.

The bouldering's between the hut and the glacier - which incidentally is the most northerly one in the Alps - and probably the next one to disappear...

Brilliant cakes at the Blaueis hut
Johno 14 Aug 2003
In reply toAdam Lincoln:

" www.blaueishuette.de

All in German I'm afraid, but if you go to "downloads" there is a pdf document specifically devoted to bouldering.

that should put you on the right track.

It's in the Hochkalter range of the Berchtesgaden Alps. 2 to 3 hours walk from Ramsau or Hintersee"

Couldn't have put it better myself
sam stephenson 18 Aug 2003
So, in the end I randomly walked into a climbing shop in the area and they put me on the right track.
Its a good place but the landings make it a tad intimidating. Just getting to some of the boulders is a bit mission. I only spent a couple of hours there and left with 98% of the boulders uninvestigated.
Well worth visiting if you are ever in the area, but I might want to stay in the hut rather than walking up and down for seveal days in a row.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...