UKC

Free cross training for a runner

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Indy 26 Mar 2013
Wonder if anyone has any ideas on cross training activities that you can do alone and are free.

Obviously there's things like swimming and gym weigh training but they both cost money. I've seen those free gyms in parks but they always seem full when I want to use one. My current bike isn't really up to much other than a mile or so to run errands. Am in the process of replacing it.

Until then any ideas?
Thanks
 martinph78 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Indy: Bodyweight exercises. Climbing.
 Banned User 77 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Martin1978: Really?

I'd go with biking.. any old bike..

But i'd not cross train unless doing decent mileage or injury concerns dictated.
 yorkshireman 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Indy:

Not ideal for you of course, but I found XC skiing a great, non-impact cross-training exercise this winter.

As was mentioned, if you're already doing the running, complement with plyometrics/body weight exercises to build core strength. Pilates?

I don't have a gym nearby, and its still to snowy for biking (but not enough for XC skiing) so do a few pull ups on a bar at home, and core stength exercises.
 martinph78 26 Mar 2013
In reply to IainRUK: Yeah, why not?

OP has already decided not to use their current bike so I didn't see the point in suggesting that.

Bodyeweight exercises are free and compliment running (also free) nicely I think.
In reply to Martin1978: I just don't see that its needed. Some core will help. But i think there is too much focus on nice road bikes..

A bad bike still gets you losing weight, strengthens legs.

Simplest way to raise V02 max is drop weight...
In reply to yorkshireman: XC skiing is perfect I reckon.. little impact, full body work out, low intensity..
 NorthernGrit 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Indy:

Check out rosstraining, loads of ideas. His Never Gymless book is great (but obviously isn't free).

Loads of stuff on the website is free though.
 hydraulicwave 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Indy: I enjoy doing 1 minute interval sets with 15 seconds rest. Kind of like what Funk Roberts does - youtube.com/watch?v=IIrbLOeshlc&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...