UKC

Newbie wanting some advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ahogg16 26 Mar 2013
Hi i am new ish to climbing done a fair bit of indoor but wanting to take on the great outdoors

I am looking for advice on some good beginner sport climbs in Yorkshire ?

Please help as from research there are numerous location but wanting to make the most of my time spent at a crag

Thanks
In reply to Ahogg16: I'm not a local, so there may well be a few minor crags with low grade routes worth visiting first but you won't go far wrong at
Giggleswick South which has loads of easier routes from grade 4 upwards - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=604

I'd also perhaps look at Robin Proctor's Scar which has a decent variety of routes from grade 5 upwards - http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1359
OP Ahogg16 26 Mar 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: thanks for the reply, i'll have a look at both, thanks
 tlm 28 Mar 2013
In reply to Ahogg16:
> Hi i am new ish to climbing done a fair bit of indoor but wanting to take on the great outdoors
>
> I am looking for advice on some good beginner sport climbs in Yorkshire ?

My advice is not to limit yourself to sports climbs. Just go for it and get into trad climbing. Most people used to just start on trad, without any walls or bolts, and doing this is very beginner friendly.

You can find out about local clubs here:
http://thebmc.co.uk/map

that's a great way of meeting other climbers and getting to second some decent climbs.

You can also <shhhh> set up a top rope if it is a single pitch climb and you don't know anyone who can lead it.

Thinking that you have to limit yourself to sports climbing means that you limit your choices and make trad into something that seems unnecessarily hard to get into. You are in a great area for climbing, it's the spring, the start of the climbing season, so go for it and make the most of where you are!
OP Ahogg16 29 Mar 2013
In reply to tlm: Thanks for the great advice i am currently sourcing a trad climbing rack, putting it together a bit at a time due to cost etc, the reason i asked for sport climbs is that i have the rope and quickdraws needed for sport climbing, but dont really have a lot of trad gear as yet but i do want to get into trad climbing asap.

i appreciate the advice especially the idea of setting up a top rope so no leading required then maybe practising placing gear with the safety of a top rope

any more advice would be greatly received

thanks again
 rug 29 Mar 2013
In reply to Ahogg16:
> ... but wanting to make the most of my time spent at a crag
>

I would say try not to get too hung up on targets. Climbing walls are not normally very uplifting places to be, so targets there make sense. Outside, feeling you have failed if you don't tick X routes in a day could take the shine off a brilliant day out. You have loads of time to tick things (unless you are terminally ill, in which case give up work, go somewhere warm, and climb your socks off !)

Rug

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...