UKC

New Touring Bindings - Advice?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tinks 26 Mar 2013
I recently bought a pair of marker tour F10 bindings to go with some Fisher X-Ceed skis, and have been using them for a few days. I am always very nervous with new, good quality equipment so maybe I'm just being paranoid, however I'd like to be able to check a few things with people who know more than I do.

I have noticed some sqeaking coming from the binding (or the ski). Is this normal when settling in? The toe of my ski boot can also wiggle up and down, seemingly more after riding for a while - is this likley to mean the binding needs to be tighter? How tight should the binding be lengthways?

Also I'd like to know if these bindings are suitable for downhill piste. I'm quite a rough skier on piste and am just concerned about damaging them. Is there anything else I should avoid doing?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to ruin a great new set of bindings!

Thanks very much
 kevin stephens 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tinks: I've got F10s on my new White Dot Preacher skis (I have Diamir Fritshi Eagle touring bindings on my other skis). The F10s feel rock solid downhill.

If your boot toe wiggles up and down it sounds like they are not adjusted properly (or safely). At the front (toe) of the binding there is a screw head which adjusts a sliding ramp/sole plate under the front sole. The ramp needs to me moved forward/raised until it almost touches the sole. If you put a thin piece of paper (eg £5 note) between the sole plate and boot, turn the screw until the paper is gripped snugly but you can pull it with a little force.
 Morgan Woods 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tinks:

if the F10's are anything like the baron on each side of the slidey plate there should be written the words "alpine" and "touring", which indicates the sort of boot that fits in that position. Touring boots have more rocker so the plate needs to be lower.
 Jack_Lewin 26 Mar 2013
In reply to tinks:

If in doubt and your not confident in fiddling with them yourself I'd take them to a technician to have them checked over, probably a different one to whoever set them up.
Srick 30 Mar 2013
In reply to tinks:
>
> I have noticed some sqeaking coming from the binding (or the ski). Is this normal when settling in? The toe of my ski boot can also wiggle up and down, seemingly more after riding for a while - is this likley to mean the binding needs to be tighter? How tight should the binding be lengthways?
>

I have damiair Freeride pro's, and i know on them you can alter the height of the toe piece on the binding itself, to accommodate the differences in touring and Freeride boots. Don't confuse this with the length of the boot, rather than the depth of the toe piece. As said previously, take it into a shop, preferably a shop that sells touring kit, like mountain spirit in aviemore, or Anything technical in Kendal.
 Got a job rob 30 Mar 2013
In reply to tinks: I have the f12 and my bindings did this during a week long course at glenmore lodge. I adjusted the toe hight and its stopped. I think that they just need a close eye keeping on the toe and that they may settle in a bit after being set up. They fine for me and I was not kind to them.
OP Anonymous 30 Mar 2013
In reply to tinks: Kevin
£5 note!!
He,he... just try and slide it.. oops a it tight... rip... bugger!
Just use a wee piece of paper and play around until it slides out with a bit of effort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...