UKC

XP Problem

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pyreneenemec 26 Mar 2013
My PC bit the dust this afternoon so I had to dig-out an old HP Pavillion running XP. Everything works fine apart from playing games on Pogo.com.
Pogo is so full of video advertising that my poor old machine can't cope !
It only has 512 MO of RAM and a 1.8 GHz processor.

My question : is there any other way of using sites like Pogo that would be less greedy on the system ? I really need my daily fix of Bridge, Chess and Scrabble !
KevinD 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

maybe firefox with selective flash blocker.
OP Pyreneenemec 26 Mar 2013
In reply to dissonance:
> (In reply to Pyreneenemec)
>
> maybe firefox with selective flash blocker.

I gave it a try but Pogo finds it and ceases to load.

Task Manager says the Procesor is at 100% whilst loading Pogo. Looks like I'll be without games for a few days !

Dauphin 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Pyreneenemec:

A paired down linux distro for old hardware....512 ram is going to struggle with most stuff these days rather than the processor, upping that and installing linux would be the way forward.

D
 Dauphin 26 Mar 2013
In reply to Dauphin:

you can run puppy linux off a flash drive.

d
 EeeByGum 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Pyreneenemec: I think memory is your problem here. The CPU is at 100% because it is constantly swapping out memory from the disk page file. Have you tried other browsers like Chrome or Opera? Firefox and IE always come across as pretty heavy weight to me.
OP Pyreneenemec 27 Mar 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to Pyreneenemec) I think memory is your problem here. The CPU is at 100% because it is constantly swapping out memory from the disk page file. Have you tried other browsers like Chrome or Opera? Firefox and IE always come across as pretty heavy weight to me.

Thanks for that !

I've tried Opera and things appear to be going reasonably well !

BigBrother 27 Mar 2013
In reply to Pyreneenemec: I have various old memory that I need to sell. If you are interested let me know what type your pc uses or exactly what it is and I will see if I have any that would fit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...