HILLTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - A different look at winter conditions

mockerkin on 28 Mar 2013
The weather has been strange in Cumbria for the last ten to fourteen days.
The west coast has been devastated, lambs and ewes frozen to death under drifts up to twenty feet, farmers unable to reach their flocks. Some are seeing 20% of this years income gone under the snow. Other districts are snow free, only fifteen miles away.
On the hills, the weather has been so terrible, minus 20c and gale force winds on the tops. Only the brave have been up there. The daily Helvellyn
walk to the summit to check conditions has been extended until this bad weather recedes.
But cheer up everyone, the improving weather should show some good conditions high up.
So why is this thread called "different"? Because when we were about 12 or 13 years old, we climbed Skiddaw, in heavy snow carrying a sledge to the top and then sledging down the "back o' Skiddaw" the east side. That sledge ride seemed to last forever. When we reached the bottom we wanted to do it again but were not strong enough to climb back up with the sledge. We were also lost, we didn't know that part of the district and had to hitchhike home with the sledge. I advise everyone to try that, the sledging, not the hitching. It's better than a zip wire on Honister.

... not showing 4 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums