UKC

Glencoe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 alastairmac 28 Mar 2013
Anybody been up in Glencoe (stob coire nan lochan) recently and willing to share a short conditions update ie what's in condition and safe?
 AdrianC 28 Mar 2013
In reply to alastairmac: Looks like there aren't any up to date reports but I can give you info from last Sunday - I wouldn't have thought there'd be big changes since then. I went up the Lost Valley then onto Bidean & descended into Coire nam Beith. High up the wind had been sufficiently strong to strip much of the new snow and there was good cramponing in most areas. It's also quite easy to pick the conditions on a slope from a distance as you can see the blue/grey colour of the older neve. Around mid-elevations (coire floor kind of height) there was significant build-up of some pretty stiff windslab and a fair bit of cross loading so I'd still be wary of sheltered steep spots as temps have stayed relatively low. Viz wasn't great and I didn't get into SCNL but there was quite a bit of ice around and I reckon you'd find some good stuff to do.
 JCurrie 28 Mar 2013
In reply to alastairmac:
Try nick bullock's blog for pics of the buachaille from yesterday.
J
 pass and peak 28 Mar 2013
In reply to alastairmac:
Was yesterday in the coire next door, "Coire nam Beitheach" on the Ant T-Sron. Everything is perfect, lots of snow above 200m all frozen above 200m, it doesn't come much better and looks to stay that way, only small issue is there are lots of large cornice's on most West and NW rims, so need to chose your routes. Enjoy!
OP alastairmac 28 Mar 2013
In reply to alastairmac: thanks very much for all the replies. That's really helpful. All the best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...