UKC

Indoor climbing - South East

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
so_wadey 28 Mar 2013
Hi, I've been climbing on and off for a couple years. I don't have access to a climbing wall as I live on the Isle of Wight. Looking for someone/somewhere to climb regularly and train in the south east.

Any recommendations on where to climb?

Thanks,
Sophie
 ashley1_scott 29 Mar 2013
In reply to wade123_2013:
Hi Sophie,
The nearest walls would be, Fort Purbrook from bouldering which is on portsdown hill. Calshot in Southampton (boulder, lead and toprope), but isnt the easiest place to get too. I live in Havant/Portsmouth area and normally go to Craggy Island in Guildford (boulder, lead and toprope), which you can get a train to Guildford and its about 45 minutes walk or 10 minutes by taxi.
If you're on facebook and want any more info add me
http://www.facebook.com/ashley.scott.71271
 sog 30 Mar 2013
Sophie there is a small wall in Southampton www.southamptonclimbingwall.co.uk - always check the calendar to check that it's not closed to the public. As it's small it is an unsupervised wall so if you want to top rope climb you will need to book an assessment. No lead climbing!

Frank
 Kevster 30 Mar 2013
In reply to sog:

Isnt there one at winbourne too?

Always swanage etc on the long summer eves.
so_wadey 30 Mar 2013
In reply to sog: Thank everyone, this is really great.

Yh, I was looking at going to Southampton as it is the easiest to get to for me. Although I was really looking to get into some lead climbing which is a shame

What's happening in Swanage? I hear its great for outdoor climbing? I've never done any, but would love to get involved.

Sophie
trinage 15 Apr 2013
In reply to wade123_2013: have you tried calshot activity centre?
so_wadey 17 Apr 2013
In reply to trinage: It has been suggested, but unfortunately its too difficult to get to

Thank you though
 TomBaker 17 Apr 2013
Fair few walls in and around southampton. Most have been mentioned but there is a new one (location i can't remember) but a google search should turn it up, a friend of mine reccomended it.

Swanage and portland for long summers evenings outside are always worth the effort.
 silhouette 17 Apr 2013
In reply to wade123_2013: I see that people keep banging on about some places without realising how difficult it would be to get to them from the Isle of Wight. My suggestion for a regular wall would be Craggy at Guildford (already mentioned above). Cycling from Guildford station to the wall would save some time and cost. You don't say whether you work 9-5 or where you live on the I.O.W but I see the last train from Guildford to Ryde is at 9pm weekdays.
so_wadey 17 Apr 2013
In reply to TomBaker: I'd love to spend a long summers eve in Swanage or Portland. Just need to find someone with the experience to show me the ropes (no pun intended) I have no outdoor experiences as yet :/
so_wadey 17 Apr 2013
In reply to silhouette: Haha, I know it can be a nightmare!!

Craggy has be suggested before and I'm intending to head over one weekend when i'm not busy. (Hungover)

Unfortunately I work 6 days a week 9-5 so sundays are my only free day. Evenings would be perfect but like you say travel from the island can add an hour or two.
 silhouette 17 Apr 2013
In reply to wade123_2013: Doh! The answer has been staring us in the face all along! Buy a powerboat!
so_wadey 18 Apr 2013
In reply to silhouette: Haha. Thanks, I'll start saving now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...