Winter Climbing forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Which technical tools?

mmmhumous on 29 Mar 2013
Torn between DMM Flys (old style) and Rebels.

Firstly why do the Rebels come with B-Rated picks? I thought the point of technical tools was that they were T-rated... or is it just the shaft which really matters i.e. for belays, and the picks are B-rated because they're agressive/thin?

Essentially I want to know are the Fly's good enough for what I need long term (with a grivel horn or similar added to the handles), and are the Rebels Overkill?

I'm climbing in B2 boots and G12's with which I can dog my way up ~grade 5 routes, and fly up ~grade 3s at the ice factor. Long term I think winter IV and WI4 will be the limit of what I'm happy climbing outdoors (head-wise), so I don't need anything hugely technical.

So far I've played with:

Very old DMM Flys - indiferent to them. (interested in buying them based on price: 165 per pair)

My own Alpine tour walking axe - on Grade II, a tad thin to hang onto.

Grivel Alpine wings - Fine on Grade II/III, shafts just a tad thin.

Very old Mountain Technology Vertiges - Great to hang on to, but straight shafts might be a pain for placements over buldges etc.
... not showing 26 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums