UKC

offline presentations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pff 29 Mar 2013
Hi.
I have to give a presentation for an instructor training course.There will be a laptop and overhead projector provided, i'm doubtful about web acess at the location Does anyone know if its possible to save a youtube clip or clips to a memory stick beforehand ,rather than just using a series of links. These are not my own clips that i want to display.
Cheers.
 ElBarto 29 Mar 2013
In reply to pff:
You can download videos from YouTube, Google about and you'll find a few sites. I think RealPlayer also has a browser plugin so when you hover over an online video it has a download button to save it.

I'm not sure about the legality of this though, I've certainly done it a few times for informative videos that I wasn't 100% certain would be there forever.
 Hairy Pete 29 Mar 2013
In reply to pff:
> Does anyone know if its possible to save a youtube clip or clips to a memory stick beforehand ,rather than just using a series of links.

I would definitely avoid relying on external links whenever possible. There's a plug-in/extention for firefox "Easy Youtube Video Download" - this provides an option on the youtube page to download in various formats. I usually choose mp4 if it's available.
 kathrync 29 Mar 2013
In reply to pff:

AS the above said, download videos rather than rely on them being available externally. If you are using Powerpoint you can embed videos in it so they play in your slides.
 ERU 29 Mar 2013
'Video Download Helper' is the best one I've come across:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/

OP pff 30 Mar 2013
In reply to pff: Thanks for the replies. One thing i would like to say again, the laptop is being provided, so will all these solutions work, considering the only thing that I will be taking to the presentation is a memory stick.
In reply to pff: Have done such a way but found it better to download all files to desktop prior to presentation as the bit speed of the USB is critical (and I had a slow USB so the videos kept freezing).

If opening youtubes via ppt then you need to update the link directions accordingly.
 timjones 30 Mar 2013
In reply to kathrync:
> (In reply to pff)
>
> AS the above said, download videos rather than rely on them being available externally. If you are using Powerpoint you can embed videos in it so they play in your slides.

Be very careful if you're using someone elses laptop, don't assume that it will have the correct video codecs installed.
 timjones 30 Mar 2013
In reply to pff:
> (In reply to pff) Thanks for the replies. One thing i would like to say again, the laptop is being provided, so will all these solutions work, considering the only thing that I will be taking to the presentation is a memory stick.

I would seriously recommend using your own laptop to ensure that it all works. It's a bit embaressing when the videos won't play on someone elses ;(
 Hairy Pete 30 Mar 2013
In reply to pff:
> (In reply to pff) One thing i would like to say again, the laptop is being provided, so will all these solutions work, considering the only thing that I will be taking to the presentation is a memory stick.

Yes it will work, but, build your presentation in one folder/directory. Put ALL the files needed in that one directory. When you copy the presentation to the memory stick make sure that you copy all the files that are needed. If possible, copy the files from the memory stick to the presentation laptop - it's faster.

You don't say what OS the laptop is running, nor what presentation software. Are you assuming that it's windows and some form of powerpoint?
 Hairy Pete 30 Mar 2013
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to pff)
> [...]
>
> I would seriously recommend using your own laptop to ensure that it all works. It's a bit embaressing when the videos won't play on someone elses ;(

+1
interdit 30 Mar 2013
In reply to pff:

Best chance of things working, as mentioned several times, is use your own laptop.

Failing that, you can't guarantee what software they have, so take your own on the USB.

Make your presentation in LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) and display it using the PortableApps version.
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/libreoffice_portable
This software will run from the USB.
Just make sure you know what operating system they have.

Test it before you go.
OP pff 30 Mar 2013
In reply to pff: Thanks for all of that. All i can say is s#%tbox. I dont own a laptop or computer. Ill be collecting the online stuff at the library. I was hoping that it was possible to just let the video clips play in their own sequence,like i did previously for another presentation where i just let a gallery of photographs play in the background. Maybe ill settle for photos instead.
Thanks.
 kathrync 30 Mar 2013
In reply to timjones:
> (In reply to kathrync)
> [...]
>
> Be very careful if you're using someone elses laptop, don't assume that it will have the correct video codecs installed.

Good point - that needs to be thought about whether you are embedding them in Powerpoint or opening them separately.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...