UKC

camping/climbing ideas with a 3yr old?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
stellafan 29 Mar 2013
so ideas please, planning for summer holidays, my 3yr old really wants me to take him camping and climbing. im based in manchester an ideally lookin for somewhere no more than a couple of hours drive, nice camp site with somewhere close to mess about climbing doesnt have to be pristine rock as i dont know how he'll take to it and dont wanna end up hoggin some classic line! really just lookin to make a wild feeling adventure wknd for him.
 Darragh 01 Apr 2013
3 is pretty young for climbing! My parenting/climbing experience (one kid only, but lots of trying!) suggests he won't be needing especially long routes, and so maybe large boulders are best - the surroundings tend to be more congenial for kids, you can put a rope on him for the full experience, or just spot him lots as he romps about like a proper boulderer. And then you can get some in too, which you wouldn't be able to do if you were climbing routes (unless you have another belayer, and the kid's pretty patient!)

For that, here are two campsite suggestions:

- North Lees Campsite just below Plantation boulders, and walking distance from Hathersedge.

- Capel Curig: if you turn towards Llanberis in CC (passing the Plas-y-Brenin centre on the left) the first basic 'farmer's field' campsite on the left is a good one. It's right across the road from the excellent RAC boulders, you can swim in the lake, rent a fire-box etc. Brilliant place.

John Kelly 01 Apr 2013
In reply to stellafan:
National trust campsite great langdale
has
family field
small kids play area
child friendly pubs for meals

for climbing
Side pike-blea tarn road cattle grid - just above this is a slab (great rock)which is fine for three years olds - never seen anyone on it much
also the walk to side pike summit has a series of rocky steps which entertained all of my kids over the years

wilkie14c 01 Apr 2013
In reply to stellafan:
http://fishergroundcampsite.co.uk/

Camp fires and adventure playground!
 The Pylon King 01 Apr 2013
In reply to stellafan:

Ogwen Valley

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...