UKC

Fancy an Android computer for £25 on your TV?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 31 Mar 2013
Just waiting on the postman delivering my tiny Android computer. There are other options out there if you google Android TV stick but come on £25 including postage for this baby?

Or you could buy an expensive Smart TV.

This weeks Micro Mart has an excellent article on it features.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/nurvo-android-ics-hdmi-tv-stick-89PB.html?q...
 balmybaldwin 31 Mar 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

Interested how this goes, neat little idea, I imagine controls will be the only issue?
OP The Lemming 31 Mar 2013
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Wireless mouse and keyboard work very well
 Thrudge 31 Mar 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
I'd be interested to hear how this goes, too.
 Milesy 31 Mar 2013
Thanks for this. Another wee gizmo to add to my collection.

How is the user interface? I have some cheap chinese video players and the user interfaces are diabolical to use.. file names get cut off and you dont know what they say and stuff.
OP The Lemming 31 Mar 2013
In reply to Milesy:

> How is the user interface? I have some cheap chinese video players and the user interfaces are diabolical to use.. file names get cut off and you dont know what they say and stuff.

Don't know till it arrives but the write up in Micro Mart says its Android 4.0 or 4.1, but Ice-cream Sandwich all the same.
 Kelcat 31 Mar 2013
In reply to The Lemming: hi, please follow this post with a review when it arrives, looks very promising.
OP The Lemming 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Kelcat:

Well my little Android USB TV stick computer arrived this afternoon.

I'll cut to the chase and start with saying that it works out of the box and is just as fast as my Android Tablet. And all this Android Ice Cream Sandwich goodness for £24-97.

So far I have been on the device for half an hour and checked out my NAS box and played a few films from it.

I have had a play on You Tube and seen a few of my mates vids.

I've played Angry Birds, which boots up and runs as effortlessly as my £400 Tablet.

In fact all this is being typed from the telly in my back room from a keyboard and mouse attached to a usb adapter plugged into the one and only USB port.

The device does have some quirks though. At first, I could type with a physical keyboard with no problems but for some reason I have hit a setting somewhere and the on-screen android keyboard takes up most of the screen until I banish it. Small niggle.

Is this better than a Raspberry Pi?

In my opinion, yes because it works out of the box with no mess, no fuss and if you have an android/google account then all your settings, bookmarks and what ever are ready and waiting for you.

There are loads of different versions of an Android TV stick with different specs but this one is perfect for me.

Still going to play with it and see if I can use my tablet to control my TV from the sofa but in reality I have created an Android 4.0 Smart TV for under 25 quid.

What's not to like about that?
ruffydd 05 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
> (In reply to Kelcat)
>
> The device does have some quirks though. At first, I could type with a physical keyboard with no problems but for some reason I have hit a setting somewhere and the on-screen android keyboard takes up most of the screen until I banish it. Small niggle.

You can stop the on screen keyboard popping up every time you want to type something by downloading the "null keyboard" app from the play store and making it the default keyboard.

Thrudge 06 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:
Cheers for the update, that's interesting stuff.
Frogger 06 Apr 2013
In reply to The Lemming:

... from a keyboard and mouse attached to a usb adapter plugged into the one and only USB port.

How does that work then? Does the Android stick detect the mouse and keyboard via the USB port?
OP The Lemming 06 Apr 2013
In reply to Frogger:

Got my terminology wrong. I plugged a keyboard and mouse into a 4-way USB port and then plugged the USB port into the device.

Everything was detected out of the box.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...