UKC

Subalpine, and what he does for a living.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ThunderCat 01 Apr 2013
Only asking out of curiosity, and because in a discussion about the welfare state he called me a parasite because I worked for Bupa.

Finding out what he does for a living is on my bucket list and I'm sad to announce that due to genetics and the law of averages and statistical probability, I only have about 30 - 50 years left to find out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Thundercat.
Removed User 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

Has he rattled your cage then?

TBH, I wouldn't bother breaking sweat over it. He's probably Warren Buffett's son (or daughter?).

OP ThunderCat 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserThunderCat)
>
> Has he rattled your cage then?
>
> TBH, I wouldn't bother breaking sweat over it. He's probably Warren Buffett's son (or daughter?).

Nah, not rattled my cage at all. It's just that personally I wouldn't feel comfortable calling someone a 'parasite' for working in the health insurance industry, whilst being a long-term benefit claimaint.

For me, there's a certain sense of irony there.
OP ThunderCat 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

And no, I'm not 100% certain that he is a long-term benefit claimant...only 99%. He just seems very reluctant to confirm or deny it whilst being totally willing to call me a parasite for doing a job that that allows me to fund his opinions.

Steve John B 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat: It's been asked before when he's criticised people for what they do for a living. You will not be shocked to learn that he never answers (I don't think posting links to conspiracy theory movies on youtube counts as a job).
 Toby S 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

What's wrong with working for BUPA? Genuinely don't get what the problem is there.
 bouldery bits 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

I think he is a professional furtler
 Bruce Hooker 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

What people do for a living is their own business, they can tell you if they want but to insist on knowing as you do is uncalled for... (couldn't think of a better adjective).

What dose it matter? Shouldn't you judge people on a forum by what they say, not what they are?

PS. His pseudo implies clearly that he is a low level alpine professional, whatever that may mean. Your own is less than explicit too... are you an explosive feline?
 Oceanrower 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker: Bruce. It only matters when he (as he has done in the past) berates other people on what they do to earn a crust.

Glass houses etc.
andic 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

He is an ex-bupa employee who was sacked and gagged for blowing the whistle on their parasitic neo-capitalist business model.

Jimbo W 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

> Nah, not rattled my cage at all. It's just that personally I wouldn't feel comfortable calling someone a 'parasite' for working in the health insurance industry, whilst being a long-term benefit claimaint.

Why go to "benefit claimant" as your negative.. ..you've clearly swallowed the governments propaganda hook line and sinker.. ..MPs, esp the Bulli boys, journalists, etc are far more capable of parasitism combined with hypocrisy, and they have very little excuse whatever for their lack of responsibility.
 doz generale 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to ThunderCat)
>
> What's wrong with working for BUPA? Genuinely don't get what the problem is there.

Up until sept last year I worked for the NHS and a big part of my job was monitoring the debt owed to parts of the NHS by BUPA and other insurance companies. Trying to get BUPA to pay what it owes to the NHS is like getting blood out of a stone, it's the same for the other health insurance companies that use NHS facilities. Part of their business model is to withold payment for as long as possible and to not pay out if at all possible.
Jimbo W 01 Apr 2013
In reply to doz generale:

> Up until sept last year I worked for the NHS and a big part of my job was monitoring the debt owed to parts of the NHS by BUPA and other insurance companies. Trying to get BUPA to pay what it owes to the NHS is like getting blood out of a stone, it's the same for the other health insurance companies that use NHS facilities.

Interesting, what kind of facilities is BUPA using / relying on?
 ollieollie 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat: he is one half of the chuckle brothers
 woolsack 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:
> (In reply to doz generale)
>
> [...]
>
> Interesting, what kind of facilities is BUPA using / relying on?

Every time a private operation goes wrong they dial 999 from what I have heard (ambulance man)

MJ 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

This came up a few years ago and this is what I remember of those conversations: -
I believe he's a very highly qualified physicist (probably astro-physics). However, from what I recall, he has suffered from various health problems over the years which have made employment in his original chosen field not possible.
 xplorer 01 Apr 2013
In reply to MJ:

Stephen hawking
 doz generale 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:
> (In reply to doz generale)
>
> [...]
>
> Interesting, what kind of facilities is BUPA using / relying on?

Any facilities that they dont own themselves, BUPA have a pretty small infrastructure and have to use the NHS who will bill them for the work. BUPA will then do whatever they can to not pay for it.
Jim C 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Jimbo W:
>
> [...]
>
> Why go to "benefit claimant" as your negative.. ..you've clearly swallowed the governments propaganda hook line and sinker.. ..MPs, esp the Bulli boys, journalists, etc are far more capable of parasitism combined with hypocrisy, and they have very little excuse whatever for their lack of responsibility.

I agree with that, my daughter is in the health service providing therapy for your children and generally contributing taxes etc to society. However, a few years back if an operation had not been successful, she would have been a long term benefit claimant through no choice of her own. I also travel with a chap who,s daughter needs a lot of support, and is a long term benefit claimant. I would not swap my life for his for any amount of benefit. So I too do not swallow the government' s demonisation of people on benefits.
 John_Hat 01 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:

Guys, but this is a ickle bit like a personal attack thread. If not meant as such by the OP has a high probability of deteriorating into one, and all that.

Please play nice?
Jimbo W 01 Apr 2013
In reply to doz generale:
> Any facilities that they dont own themselves, BUPA have a pretty small infrastructure and have to use the NHS who will bill them for the work. BUPA will then do whatever they can to not pay for it.

I've been aware at 1st hand of the difference in medical cover in private vs public hospitals and the lack of high dependency / ITU beds, or appropriate staff ratios for that kind of service, and the resultant not infrequent transfer to whatever the local such service is within the NHS. However, is this more general, are you saying that they are just utilising NHS infrastructure more generally? How efficient are the edges of service provision contractually defined and determined, and is there just a payment lag, or is there a persistent % underpaid?
OP ThunderCat 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Bruce Hooker:
>
> What people do for a living is their own business, they can tell you if they want but to insist on knowing as you do is uncalled for... (couldn't think of a better adjective).
>
> What dose it matter? Shouldn't you judge people on a forum by what they say, not what they are?
>
> PS. His pseudo implies clearly that he is a low level alpine professional, whatever that may mean. Your own is less than explicit too... are you an explosive feline?

Agree totally, and the question was just out of a sense of balance really - he had made a bit of an uncalled-for comment about my job (calling me a parasite), but refused to say what he did for a living. That seemed a bit unfair.
In reply to Jimbo W:
>
> [...]
>
> Why go to "benefit claimant" as your negative.. ..you've clearly swallowed the governments propaganda hook line and sinker.. ..MPs, esp the Bulli boys, journalists, etc are far more capable of parasitism combined with hypocrisy, and they have very little excuse whatever for their lack of responsibility.

To be fair, I feel it was Subalpine who started the negativity by calling me a parasite. I work, I pay taxes, I give to charity where I can, I help my friends and family where possible and I count myself extremely fortunate to have a roof over my head.

I don't particularly crow about it.

But when someone else calls me a 'parasite' because they have an objection with the business ethics of my employer, I feel a little bit niggled, especially when they don't feel the same moral objections in accepting the benefits that would not be possible if I were not working for such an abominable organisation.
In reply to John_Hat:
>
> Guys, but this is a ickle bit like a personal attack thread. If not meant as such by the OP has a high probability of deteriorating into one, and all that.
>
> Please play nice?

Honestly, not meant as one. I just don't like one-sided attacks. I've been called a parasite. I wanted a bit of balance.

Cthulhu 05 Apr 2013
> (In reply to
>
> PS. His pseudo implies clearly that he is a low level alpine professional, whatever that may mean. Your own is less than explicit too... are you an explosive feline?

By that logic, are you an Australian male prostitute?

Bruce Hooker 05 Apr 2013
In reply to Cthulhu:

No, it's my name... the other two posters invented their names for some reason so perhaps they are connected to who or what they are? Personally I'm not that interested in what people do, it's not really my business.
> (In reply to Cthulhu)
>
> No, it's my name... the other two posters invented their names for some reason so perhaps they are connected to who or what they are? Personally I'm not that interested in what people do, it's not really my business.

I chose my name based on the name of a stray cat we adopted...and I chose that name because it was stormy when he came in the house

But again, I'm only really interested in what subalpine does for a living because he feels obliged to criticise my line of work. Apart from that, I really couldn't give a flying piss.

In reply to ThunderCat: Bloody BUPA? I just put in a six grand claim for my new hearing aids, as I full "extras", the sods refunded me $1000.

May be subalpine just bought new hearing aids. (more probably he's just a c**t.)
 gd303uk 06 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat: I remember a conversation with a friend when on holiday, he worked as some kind of manager in a hospital, he genuinely believed nurses took advantage of Nhs training before leaving for better pay in private medical care like Bupa, he claimed it was costing the Nhs a fortune becuase they paid for the training and Bupa got the nurses without training them.
Out of curiosity what path did you take to work for Bupa?

mack 06 Apr 2013
In reply to ThunderCat:
> (In reply to Bruce Hooker)
> [...]
>
> I chose my name based on the name of a stray cat we adopted...and I chose that name because it was stormy when he came in the house

Oh that's slightly disappointing.. I had imagined you were a bald-headed blue-skinned fella with pointy teeth, who rode around on a yamaha.. =P

=)
 ryan_d 06 Apr 2013
In reply to gd303uk: Having worked for both the NHS and a private organisation in health care, I can assure that this is not the case. It is now quite hard to get extra training under the NHS and I was more likely to get further post grad training when in private.

If you are saying that the NHS pays people to go an complete their professional qualifications then again this is wrong. People go to uni of their own accord and pay for it like most others, although the fees for healthcare is different (but this does not come out of NHS budgets). Some can be seconded if say they were support workers/nursing assistants, but there is normally an agreement that you work for the hospital who paid for this for x number of years following completion of the course/gaining of said qualification. And this has generally ceased since the NHS has no guarantee of jobs at the end of it.

As to the OP, you have clearly been wronged by a presumptious muppet who likes to hide behind the anonimity of a forum, but it is unlikely you are going to get anywhere with this thread, so i suggest you give it up and mods remove it. You are only tarnishing your own rep by going down this line.

If you find out the info what are you going to do with it?

All the best, and keep the heid!

Ryan
 subalpine 06 Apr 2013
In reply to MJ:
>
> This came up a few years ago and this is what I remember of those conversations: -
> I believe he's a very highly qualified physicist (probably astro-physics). However, from what I recall, he has suffered from various health problems over the years which have made employment in his original chosen field not possible.

chinese whispers-lol
i did study physics, but no health problems so far (well, apart from life in poverty in the UK. once had a good job in pipeline inspection, but was offered redundancy and decided to go into web development. didn't work out, so now indexing books- who would have thought...

everyone happy now?

oh yes, sorry thundercat if you think i called you a parasite for working for BUPA (i don't remember this-was prob drunk or thought you were a banker
 subalpine 06 Apr 2013
In reply to ryan_d:
> so i suggest you give it up and mods remove it.

yes please, or at least move it to 'the pub' where thundercat was when he posted..
 Steve John B 06 Apr 2013
In reply to subalpine:
> (In reply to MJ)
> [...]
>
> chinese whispers-lol
> i did study physics, but no health problems so far

Might be worth getting private health insurance just in case though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...