UKC

Monolith crack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 01 Apr 2013
Ok, just how horrid is it?

I know it's only S but it's not the kind of route that can really be graded; my chimney climbing pervert friend wasn't to have a go- he likes to seek out the most grotesque routes.

I'll give the most appalling things a lead providing that it doesn't turn out NAILS.

C
 JamButty 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Oh its brilliant, get it done. Combine it with Chasm Route to the top.
Oh suggest you leave it a bit at the mo!

OP Chay 01 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty: Yeah; definitely not doing it until it's warm..and dry and not at all horrid and wet..or snowy!

Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: Not so much nails as very tight in places.

I had to back off and do the VS variation up the front, as I had the fear I was going to get stuck and my body would slowly decay and climbers would have to avoid the routes for years as I slowly rotted. I never thought I was claustrophobic but this route still haunts me!
OP Chay 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Reeves: I'm only small 10stone ringing wet with a 27" waist, hopefully it'll be okay for me.

Sounds pretty grim mind..
In reply to Chay:

It's brilliant. Claustrophobia or a fat arse are much more likely to be a problem than any technical difficulty.
 Kafoozalem 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

Such fun! Make your mate laugh and watch them slide back to the start
In reply to Chay:

Basically if you can get through the entrance then you've done the narrowest part, the rest is easy.

ALC
 alan moore 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
It's a bit disturbing entering the narrows. You are only shuffling sideways along the flat interior of the Crack but if you try and take a deep breath your ribs are compressed by the enclosing walls and there isn't room to turn your head either.
If you stay calm you should survive.
 Ianto Bach 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
A great "traditional" outing (as opposed to a great "trad" outing). Enjoyed the experience a couple of times, didn't find it too bad. I did watch a mate (who was climbing well at the time) have an epic on this - I think he was asking for trouble when he started out in his t-shirt and shades, oh how we laughed.

Get on it, potentially, you'll remember this route more than many others - I know I do.

Enjoy

I
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Ianto Bach: Might have to go and get it done when the weather improves!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...