UKC

Recommend a buggy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Castleman 01 Apr 2013
So, sprog number 1 is due in not too many weeks and having to look into buggy options. As usual in these times of indecision, I do, of course, turn to UKC.
We're looking for something that is ideally:
1) Good offroad and suitably rugged (presumably 3-wheeler)
2) Light and manouverable (given 1)
3) Able to have the child facing both forward and backward
4) Maxi-cosi compatible

However, accepting that life is not perfect - would be interested to know if anyone has achieved all these, or has recommendations for achieving as many as possible.

cheers!
OP Castleman 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Castleman:

Oh yes - and suitable for running, hence being in the running forum (and not just a sling which is great for walking but not for running).
 Nutkey 01 Apr 2013
In reply to Castleman:
> So, sprog number 1 is due in not too many weeks and having to look into buggy options. As usual in these times of indecision, I do, of course, turn to UKC.
> We're looking for something that is ideally:
> 1) Good offroad and suitably rugged (presumably 3-wheeler)
> 2) Light and manouverable (given 1)
> 3) Able to have the child facing both forward and backward
> 4) Maxi-cosi compatible

Our solution is a BOB Revolution plus a sling (quite a lot of slings actually, in a wide range of colours, but you'll have to ask Mrs Nutkey about that - the kinderpack is the one we use now for hiking).

I've done a 20 minute trail 5K with the BOB at the Cambridge parkrun, which has several tight bends. I would be (well, would have been, got sciatica and haven't run since January ) faster with the Ironman, which has a larger, fixed, front wheel, but that would make the buggy much less useful for day to day life.

AFAIK You can't get it in the UK - I got mine in the USA, for $250 barely used, which is a snip when you look at how much something like a Baby Jogger costs... BUT they do come up on eBay sometimes - I got my double BOB there... Post 2007 model reclines further back. I love mine, and would pay to import it from the US if necessary. You'll need the weathershield, and the handlebar caddy is dead useful. I think that particular 5K included unwrapping a fruesli bar whilst running and handing it to the passenger!

You won't get 1-4 without compromising something. The closest thing I know of to this is the BOB revolution with the car seat adapter that takes a maxi cosi, and this totally messes up the weather protection. Unless you only want to carry a car seat once in a blue moon, I really wouldn't bother. Get something used for early on when you can't run with the baby anyway, flog it later.

Wonrek 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Castleman: Or a Mountain Buggy Terrain

http://mountainbuggy.com/en/component/content/article/103

Probably a lot easier to source in the UK and can definitely recommend its off road capabilities. We bought ours second hand on fleabay as it was intended for rough stuff and I didn't want to pay top dollar for a buggy that was going to see more than its fair share of use (which it did)

And was then cleaned up when small grew up and resold on fleabay!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...