UKC

Angels Ridge to Cairn Toul - doable with skis?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lex 01 Apr 2013
'ow do?

As the title really. Is the Angels Ridge to Cairn Toul feasible with two planks strapped to your rucksack? I was thinking of getting as far as possible with either trainers or lightweight walking boots then struggling with ski boots (and crampons as required) up the ridge. Anyone know the snow level in the Lairig Ghru?

Any particular favourites for the way back down?

Cheers,

Lex
 Scomuir 01 Apr 2013
In reply to lex:

Where are you starting from and returning to?

I've carried skis up Angels Ridge, and it was OK. The descent from the top of Angels Peak to the col between it and Cairn Toul is a really easy ski. If you've got skins, you shouldn't need to carry the skis up Cairn Toul.

The descent from the top of Cairn Toul into the Lairig Ghru is superb down the east facing corrie (Coire an t-Sabhail), and then down the stream line. Given the temperatures, it's likely to be a bit on the firm side though.

Another really good run is into Coire an t-Saighdeir from the South Summit. It faces south, so you may find it sun softened If it is, it's really, really good I suspect cover will be good enough that you don't need to worry too much about following the stream line closely.

This may help: http://www.steepscotland.info/CairnToul.cfm
 m dunn 01 Apr 2013
In reply to lex: Snow yesterday just above Glen More level. Sugar bowl car park a problem unless for a 4x4.
 mcdweeb 02 Apr 2013
In reply to lex: I skied thru the lairig on Saturday easily enough, a little bit of walking around a boulder field above the Chal. gap to access but you could ski into the Garbh Coire ok, the top of Angels ridge looked quite plastered then, thought about going that way and then ran out of energy and went onto Macdui instead, photos here http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...
back down via Braeriach would be fun
 Cuthbert 02 Apr 2013
In reply to lex:

I skied down to the Lairig Ghru from Beinn MacDuibhe and then round from Braeriach to Càrn Bàn Mòr. A friend continued to Càrn an t-Sabhail.

Tonnes of snow and perfect ski touring.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...