UKC

Running/Trail/Outdoor shops in London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wonrek 02 Apr 2013
I'm going to find myself in London later this month to take part in a little 'fun run' they're having.

As I'll have a free day and don't get out of the shire very often I was hoping to hit the bright lights of Londons outdoor shops.

I'm staying in central London (but don't want to do too much walking the day before) so where shall I go to peruse the latest and greatest 'toy' shops?
 The New NickB 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

It has been a while, so others may correct me, but Covent Garden, specifically Southampton Street was always the centre of outdoor retail in London.
 yorkshireman 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Wonrek:

As Nick B said, Covent Garden is your best bet - London is great for like-minded shops congregating together.

Snow and Rock is up at the top end, above Long Acre and Ellis Brigham is down near the Strand. There are a few others like TNF etc but its been a while since I was there.

I was surprisingly impressed by the concession at the top of Lilywhites (Picadilly Circus) a few years back for running gear. I think it was Field and Trek or someone.

If you want a dedicated running shop - there's a Sweatshop on Rathbone place, and Runners Need/Cycle Surgery/Cotswold outdoor either up near Kings Cross, on Pentonville Road heading towards Angel, or down near Spitalfield market, depending on where you're based.

Bear in a mind my information is a couple of years out of date so double check before walking off.
 Indy 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Wonrek:
I know that its always a real temptation to go to a big chain but can I throw in a really excellent local independent call London City Runner. Its just behind? near St Paul's Cathedral. They have a really good stock of stuff and staff are friendly and knowledgeable. Helped me on a number of occasions when the chains just shrugged.

There website appears to have been hacked but its Londoncityrunner.com

I have no connection with this shop other than as a happy customer.

BTW Runandbecome in Victoria is another good independent choice.
 Indy 02 Apr 2013
In reply to yorkshireman:
> (In reply to Wonrek)
>
> I was surprisingly impressed by the concession at the top of Lilywhites (Picadilly Circus) a few years back for running gear. I think it was Field and Trek or someone.

Yes theres a Field and Trek on the mezzanine level of Lillywhites and used to be really good but seems now to have been completely taken over by 'Sports Direct' outdoor brands. They also have a dedicated running section 'HerunsSheruns' which can be o.k for a good deal on mainstream running shoes.

> If you want a dedicated running shop - there's a Sweatshop on Rathbone place, and Runners Need/Cycle Surgery/Cotswold outdoor either up near Kings Cross, on Pentonville Road heading towards Angel, or down near Spitalfield market, depending on where you're based.
>
My own prejudice but never liked the Runners Need/Cycle Surgery on Pentonville Road after they overcharged me but YMMV. A more central one is a minutes walk from Holborn tube station but in general there pretty much everywhere.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...