UKC

cycling - cold feet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 goldmember 02 Apr 2013
Starting to cycle to work again. I have learnt I need padded short... Im broken.
However i was just wearing trainers in the clips and after a few miles my feet had frozen. I was thinking of getting windproof socks any experience of these? or putting my feet into plastic bags.

Really greatful of tips to keep warm feet and pain free goonads.
 sleavesley 02 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember: northwave Celsius shoes with spd pedals?
Really depends on your budget
 Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember: What about some overshoes? You'd have to size up due to wearing trainers and not cycling shoes- there are some really good waterproof warm overshoes out there.

I used Galibier ones.
http://galibier.corecommerce.com/AQUA-Crono-overshoe.html

C
 FrankBooth 02 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember:
you can get basic neoprene/windproof overshoes from Decathlon, Wiggle, Chain Reaction etc for less than £20. Definitely worth having
Yesterday I had 2 pairs of thermal socks, sealskinz, shoes and overshoes - and my feet were still cold
 Liam M 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Humphrey Jungle: Did you have too many socks on? If they start squeezing your feet so that the blood can't flow, they will get cold.

To the op, I agree with the comments about overshoes. I commute with a pair of Endura Neporene overshoes over a light pair of mtb shoes and my feet remain toasty even when the rest of me is painfully cold. MTB ones may work slightly better if you only cycle in trainers as they usually have a grippy patch under the toes (to enable you to walk in them if required) so should make for less chance of skating off the pedal than with road versions.
In reply to Humphrey Jungle:

Been out every day over the weekend and just wore a single pair of thin socks. Then had a pair of overshoes. No problems with cold feet. On Saturday it was cold enough that all three of us wore ice climbing gloves whilst biking.

ALC
 AlisonSmiles 02 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember:
+1 for overshoes. Look bloody ridiculous but the difference they make is amazing ...
 sleavesley 02 Apr 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber: But I bet your overshoes are these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-fugubootie-s7-overshoes/

I have overshoes (ultura) but still get cold feet with a pair of winter socks on with my summer shoes (Specialized carbon).

I have just got a pair of the Northwave Fahrenheit Goretex shoes. I haven't tested them out as of yet having just got them. But they feel nice and toasty with plenty of room for thicker socks.
Got them for £85 too

To the OP and others - the celcius version are for MTB SPD and I know others recommend the Wave Goretex shoes.
 EeeByGum 02 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember: I would go for the plastic bag approach. The weather isn't going to be this cold for much more than another week or so after which time things should be fine. You can think about investing in something a little more permanent next winter.
Removed User 02 Apr 2013
In reply to EeeByGum:
> (In reply to goldmember) I would go for the plastic bag approach. The weather isn't going to be this cold for much more than another week or so after which time things should be fine. You can think about investing in something a little more permanent next winter.

very true and also you should be able to get a bargain on them once winter conditions have gone
 Tricky Dicky 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Removed Userlfenbo:
> (In reply to Removed UserEeeByGum)
should be able to get a bargain on them once winter conditions have gone

Searching for a bargain on plastic bags eh? Things really are tough oop north

OP goldmember 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Tricky Dicky: plastic bags it is then perfect!
I was looking at padded shorts, seen a cheap and cheerful pair of muddyfox ones in sports direct, and good? i cycle on a bumpy road with a road bike and a very firm saddle
 Mikkel 02 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember:
flats and insulated boots works a treat
Removed User 04 Apr 2013
In reply to Tricky Dicky:
> (In reply to lfenbo)
> [...]
> should be able to get a bargain on them once winter conditions have gone
>
> Searching for a bargain on plastic bags eh? Things really are tough oop north

haha nice one tricky
Rigid Raider 04 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember:

Value for money cycling shorts with padded inserts are available from dhb at Wiggle.co.uk

Toe clips will crush your shoes and restrict blood supply making your feet cold. Best to go over to flat pedals or better still, proper cycling shoes with SPD pedals, which will make you a better cyclist. Then you can use neoprene overshoes as recommended above. Decathlon or Altura.
In reply to goldmember:

I always use Aldi overshoes -- I watch for them to come in to stock then buy 2 pairs a year at about £5 each. They are cheap as chips, work fine, and you can bin them without cringing at the cost when they get holes in them from putting your foot down at lights or walking to the cafe. ( All overshoes get trashed in time irrespective of how much you pay for them)
 VS4b 04 Apr 2013
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

ive been commuting over the winter in summer shoes, two pairs of socks and some planet x overshoes - my experience is cold feet for the first five miles, warm for the next ten, cold for the final ten.

Today ive tried some Northwave farenheit, without overshoes and with normal socks, was coldish but not uncomfortable, with some merino socks, think they'll be good and i guess i coudl put the overshoes over them if it is really cold.

If you arent using overshoes, id certainly get some, although the px ones arent all that great in my experience - i preferred the ones i had before but cant remember what sort they were!
 ClayClay 04 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember:
I wear wellies to commute in the winter, keeps my feet dry, my trousers clean and out of the chain. Lovely and warm too.
 TobyA 04 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember: I do quite a lot of cold weather cycling, so some of my experiences are here http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.fi/2012/10/trail-riding-and-avoiding-cold... including using waterproof socks.
 PeterM 04 Apr 2013
In reply to goldmember:

Got these:
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CLPXOSH/planet_x_neoprene_overshoes
Brilliant and keep my toes comfy and warm - used doewn to around 0'.

cheers,
Peter
 sleavesley 05 Apr 2013
In reply to VS4b: I did the same as you.
Went out today with them and my god what a difference. In fairness it was a bit warm to wear some bridgedale medium socks with them.
They are meant to she ok from minus 10 C up to plus 15.

I am very happy with them and like you I can put a pair of overshoes on as well if its really cold.

For spd mtb cleats northwave Celsius GTX is the model needed and not the Fahrenheit as this only takes look style three screwed cleats.
 VS4b 05 Apr 2013
In reply to sleavesley:
I've done 150 miles in them commuting and have to say I'm slightly underwhelmed. They are warm but I'm still getting cold toes, wearing overshoes as well really defeats the objective of using them!
I'll give a little more to make my mind up, inc getting some better socks but I don't have room for thick ones...
 sleavesley 05 Apr 2013
In reply to VS4b: I got them in the right size and have found there is plenty of room. I could wear liner socks as well if I wanted.
My summer shoes are like sieves though with vents everywhere.
They will be a lot better in the rain than my summer shoes too!
I only did 30 miles today and my feet were slightly sweaty.
I don't fasten them really tight either which restricts blood flow on my summer shoes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...