UKC

Tremadog Upper Tier.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chay 02 Apr 2013
Hi Guys,

Just checking with people here that may known or work for some outdoor companies locally; heading up to the upper tier for some single pitch stuff: Looks to be some nice routes in the S/HS range.

However, I've been before and it's been totally taken over by outdoor clubs/sessions: does anyone know if anything is happening there tomorrow?

Just thought i'd post in case someone knew something.

C
In reply to Chay: Like everyone else, groups or individuals, you'll just need to take your chances.

Groups from PyB and Indy use it on a regular basis but are generally scrupulous about setting a good example and communicating with and working around other climbers. Any groups of Cadets from Capel Curig should be equally accommodating but may not have local instructors.

If you are just leading routes as a pair/three you shouldn't have a great problem, but on popular venues it is always worth turning up either fairly early in the day or leave it until after lunch when groups will be winding down.

However, I would question anyone other than groups would choose that as a first choice crag. There are so many other good climbing venues in North Wales.
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Yes, I understand that it's a case of taking our chances; however, it's not completely impossible that someone working somewhere might have seen this and know about something going on tomorrow.

There aren't that many good climbing venues right now; given the current snow and conditions we're pretty restricted to Tremadog or Holyhead Mountain/gogarth and given my partner would prefer single pitch having not climbed for a while the upper tier doesn't seem a bad choice; Holyhead can be very cold at this time of year.

C
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: In addition, the routes look quite reasonable actually.
In reply to Chay: Holyhead can be a sun trap and given the weather forcast it's an option i'll be taking with my group on thurs.
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I climbed solidly there for years- done almost every route up to E2 and often find it can be warm at bottom but absolutely Baltic climbing/belaying from the top; the wind comes straight off the sea.

That said, I'll be heading over at the end of the week as well I think.
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: p.s I didn't realize you were an instructor? or are you in training?

C
In reply to Chay: Currently doing my PGCE in outdoor Activities so i'm on placement with an outdoor centre in Llanberis
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I see; cool!

I know a couple of people that have done that; a fair amount of written work it seemed- I didn't realize that until they were telling me about it.

Good luck!
In reply to Chay:
> (In reply to highclimber) I see; cool!
>
> I know a couple of people that have done that; a fair amount of written work it seemed- I didn't realize that until they were telling me about it.
>
> Good luck!

yeah! I've got a deadline for next thurs so I'm sacrificing this weekend of glorious weather for two days of sitting in front of a computer screen!
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: That's dedication is that..

I'm managing to escape tomorrow but for the most part this week is the same for me; despite getting a place in my first choice medical school I need to keep my foot on the gas to ensure meeting the offer; hours of computer time on these assignments!

I'm completely free during June/July/August for climbing though so that's a plus!
In reply to Chay: If you're still in N wales and looking for a partner, let me know.
OP Chay 02 Apr 2013
In reply to higherclimbingwales: I'll be in North Wales until the start of September before moving to Edinburgh.

I'd definitely be keen to get out; however, I'd only be leading up to VS i'd imagine- pretty busy up until June so not too much time to get climbing well. I could second a bit harder though of course; so, as long as you don't mind being held back I'll beat it in mind!

C

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...