UKC

Stopping self employed status

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BigBrother 04 Apr 2013
I need to deregister as self employed (sole trader) and finding conflicting advice online from writing to my local office (shut down) to using online forms that lead to dead links.

Before I spend hours listening to looped musak ringing the helpline I wondered if anyone here has done this recently and knows what I need to do?

thanks
 Skip 04 Apr 2013
In reply to BigBrother:

Took me about three years. Every year i'd get a self assessment form, even though i told them i was no longer self employed. Did it by phone.
New POD 04 Apr 2013
In reply to BigBrother:

Write to them, explaining in writing. They will be happy with that, but ask for official responce, and send by recorded.
OP BigBrother 04 Apr 2013
In reply to BigBrother: The HMRC have decided to shut down their system for maintenance over the year end so I will have to wait until next week anyway.
 Andy S 04 Apr 2013
I think you can request it, but ultimately it's actually up to them whether or not they make you do a self-assessment next year, regardless.
 mark turnbull 04 Apr 2013
In reply to BigBrother:
It's easy phone them up , give them your tax number and tell them
That you no longer trade
 Martin Wing 04 Apr 2013
In reply to BigBrother: When I did it I just phoned up, had to do one last self assesment the next year. Simple as that.
 JSA 04 Apr 2013
In reply to BigBrother:

You can call the NI office and inform them. it's a 2 minute job. I had been trying to cease self employment and had less than zero useful help from HMRC.

I found a number on UK Business forums, called it and in 2 minutes everything was sorted out.
 JSA 04 Apr 2013
In reply to JSA:

I think this is the number you need to call...

0845 302 1479
andrew breckill 04 Apr 2013
In reply to BigBrother: I called them and stopped my class 2 NI payments although they still sent me SA For a for a further two years.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...