UKC

Campsites in Keswick?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chalk 08 Apr 2013
Hi all,

Planning on heading up to Keswick towards the end of May and hoping someone can recommend a good campsite. I'm just looking for somewhere with basic but clean facilities and quiet.

Thanks,

Dan
In reply to Chalk: actually in keswick itself I think there is only the Camping and Caravan Club site by the lake but there are some lovely places nearby.
Can recommend Chapel Farm in Rothwaite. clean functional showers etc, flat ground and short walk/stumble to and from the pub
Chalk 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Southampton Tom: Thanks, it doesn't need to be directly in Keswick, actually i'd probably prefer it wasn't if it helps to avoid the crowds a bit. Just looking for somewhere within about 5 mins driving distance of Derwent Water, preferably with some nice walks nearby.

I tried to do a bit of research on Chapel Farm, it seems to have good reviews but couldn't find any website or contact details for booking there?

AlisonSmiles 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chalk:

I love Lanefoot Farm - http://www.stayinthornthwaite.co.uk/

The guy who runs it (I think there's a woman too) is somewhat taciturn and a bit fussy about where you pitch but actually it makes sense to just go along with that and keep smiling for five mins because the pitching places is all about making sure everyone booked in gets to be somewhere sensible with some privacy. Toilets, showers, clean, quirky and cold.
 Carolyn 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chalk:

Castlerigg Farm, se of Keswick, used to be a good compromise - out of town, but still within walking distance. Haven't been for years though, since we moved to the Lakes

There are two down that road - caravan site on the right, and the smaller more basic campsite on the left (which is the one I've used)
 DT5714 09 Apr 2013
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

I agree with Lanefoot, I'lll be returning there this summer for definate. It's only a few miles from Keswick.
 AlisonSmiles 10 Apr 2013
In reply to DT5714: mmm, just booking my pitch for the Lakeside Loop ride.
 jj0076 10 Apr 2013
Another vote for Lanefoot from me! This is one of my favourite campsites. Well located for walks that suit all abilities, plenty of good mountain biking a stones throw from camp and Keswick less than 5 minutes away. Oh, and they allow camp fires as well
In fact, I think I might book up another weekend at the place!!
Chalk 10 Apr 2013
Thanks all, Lanefoot sounds popular! Just did a bit of research on it and although it looks like it has good facilities it sounds like it gets very busy there? Would you say its more a walkers campsite or a family type with kids etc everywhere?
 AlisonSmiles 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Chalk: I hadn't really thought about it! I guess there are families but you don't feel like you're mobbed by kids because the guy takes care in positioning tents so you're not on top of each other. I think all sites in the lakes get busy ...
Chalk 10 Apr 2013
In reply to AlisonSmiles: Yeah i've heard the Lakes is known for getting busy, I think when I visited last year in August I got lucky. Around Wasdale was almost empty and although the 2nd site I went to near Ullswater was packed and mobbed by children and tents on top of each other the surrounding area's didn't seem too busy.

I guess if you get told where to pitch and they don't overbook? then you don't get that problem.
 nastyned 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Chalk: There's Scotgate at Brathwaite.
 Martin W 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Carolyn:

> Castlerigg Farm, se of Keswick, used to be a good compromise - out of town, but still within walking distance.

Second vote here for Castlerigg Farm: usually quiet, nice view to the W and you can walk straight out of the camp site and up on to the fells. I believe the pub at the bigger site site over the way is OK if you don't fancy the hike in to town.

That said, I've never stayed at Lanefoot so it's entirely possible that one might have its own advantages.
Chalk 11 Apr 2013
Just looked at the website for Castlerigg farm and it looked perfect until I saw you couldn't book there

Has anyone got any experience with Braithwaite Bridges?
 Martin W 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Chalk:

> Just looked at the website for Castlerigg farm and it looked perfect until I saw you couldn't book there

Fair point, though I have to say that I've never had a problem getting a decent pitch at Castlerigg Farm - even on Easter weekends. Maybe that's because most people do prefer to book, so they avoid Castlerigg for that very reason? I think the fact that they are fairly strict about keeping the noise down at night also deters groups of young folks heading out for an al fresco knees-up.

All that said, there's plenty of other sites in the area that will be happy to take your booking so I'm sure you'll be able to find what you need.
Chalk 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Martin W: Very true, the strict rules is probably the biggest reason. I may still consider it because I'll be going up there on a weekday, just not sure its worth driving for 5 hours to find I can't get in to the campsite.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...