/ AustriAlpin Rockit Wire

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Chay - on 09 Apr 2013
Hi All,

Thinking of getting a couple of these for racking my wires; sick of the narrow bottomed wire-gates I currently have; these look really good and pretty cheap:

http://www.rockrun.com/products/AustriAlpin-Rockit-Wire.html

Anyone tried their kit/used their stuff much? - not necessarily bothered about quality of racking krabs but just out of interest for future knowledge.

C
JSTaylor - on 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
Have some of their quick draws. Excellent quality. Not super lightweight though. Origins of company go back to Stubai. http://www.austrialpin.net/about.asp

Great value IMHO.
Chay - on 09 Apr 2013
In reply to JSTaylor: Ah, Stubai; used to have some axes by Stubai along with some solid gate krabs and some other bits and bobs.

They look ideal for racking; they don't seem like they'd be as prone to spitting my wires down the crag ;)

C
martinph78 on 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: I have two of these (solid gates though) and they are perfect for racking wires. In fact that's all I've ever used them for.

Could do with a couple more actually, thanks for the link :)
The Ex-Engineer - on 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay: I had some Austri Alpin screwgates a decade or so ago and they were fine. Like most other European manufacturers they produce perfectly reasonable gear.

FWIW I don't think the Rockit would be a particularly good racking krab as it still has relatively 'sharp' corners. Have you considers BD Oval Wires?
Chay - on 09 Apr 2013
In reply to The Ex-Engineer: Strangely, I thought the BD oval wires were quite a bit more expensive...turns out they're not!

Could be tempted to pick a couple up.
davegs - on 09 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:
> (In reply to JSTaylor) Ah, Stubai; used to have some axes by Stubai along with some solid gate krabs and some other bits and bobs.
>
> They look ideal for racking; they don't seem like they'd be as prone to spitting my wires down the crag ;)
>
> C

Don't blame the carabiner, you slung the whole lot down, kran and all! It was me that dropped two of your wires ;-)

Chay - on 09 Apr 2013
In reply to davegs: You're just splitting hairs now ;)

There were many factors: The krab being one; plus there was that monstrous wind that could easily dislodge a rack of wires from one's hand- you were lucky to be sheltered from it down there....;)

On a serious note; those particular wire gates don't work for racking- back to solid gates or some BD Ovals!

C
davegs - on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Chay:

I was more lucky they didn't come down far enough to hit me! ;-)

DMM also do solid gate ovals.
ads.ukclimbing.com
Chay - on 10 Apr 2013
In reply to davegs:
> (In reply to Chay)
>
> I was more lucky they didn't come down far enough to hit me! ;-)

Better luck next time ;)

> DMM also do solid gate ovals.

Thanks, Dave; I'll give them a look!

C

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.