UKC

Anglezarke Bolts Again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Collins 10 Apr 2013
 A Crook 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins:

Have these been put on the decent scramble?

difficult to tell
 RagingSphere 10 Apr 2013

Do you think it's a case of the nice weather is bringing out all the idiots? They must live in their own little world and not care what the local ethics are.

It almost looks like the bolt hangers are home made and they look very poorly placed. Some look like the hangers are well away from the rock.

If someone put them in for climbing on they are braver than me.

Mark

OP Mark Collins 10 Apr 2013
In reply to A Crook: Its the descent between Walt's Wall and Lower Walls which can be seen in the second picture. Unfortunately, I don't have a wide enough lens to show more of it.
In reply to monkeymark: Yes, maybe the nice weather is bringing out all the idiots.

Yeah, the bolting itself looks like a practice session for something.
 EeeByGum 10 Apr 2013
In reply to monkeymark:

> They must live in their own little world and not care what the local ethics are.

That is almost certainly the case but perhaps we need to be a little more understanding. I used to live in Cowling as a kid beneath the excellent Earl Crag. As a child it never occurred to me that you might climb the rocks up there. It was just somewhere you went for a walk and played. Come university I started climbing and discovered there was a guidebook, ethics and a whole history of climbing up there. Up until then, me and my mates used to just scramble around the boulders. Had we decided to play mining, it would not have occurred to us the impact caused by knocking chunks of rock off for fun.

Perhaps the way forward here would be to erect a sign or notice explaining why bolting is frowned on? After all, if people don't buy or buy and don't read the ethics section in the guidebook, how else are they to learn?
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 10 Apr 2013

I doubt they are for climbing, in the wrong place (a descent), the hangers are ancient, and they appear to aligned with a purpose. My guess would be either to rig a hand-line for the descent or to set up a slack-line/death-slide.

Chris
 A Crook 10 Apr 2013

At the risk of sounding controversial ....

Some of the top out are horrendous especially on the coal measure side. A few lowers wouldn't go amiss.

In reply to A Crook: There are lower offs in the coal measures area and at the top of Tangerine Trip. I agree that the top outs on some routes are certainly interesting, especially when you don't know about them beforehand! I found Storm the scariest at the time, but quite liked the adventure in retrospect.
In reply to EeeByGum: That's a good idea, I would take it through the BMC though personally, as I'm not sure how United Utilities would take it.
OP Mark Collins 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Mark Collins: I've removed the bolts and left a url to this thread.
 wilkie14c 12 Apr 2013
good effort Mark
OP Mark Collins 12 Apr 2013
In reply to blanchie14c: Cheers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...