UKC

Sea cliff/abseil location - Islay

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OwenF 10 Apr 2013
I'm off to Islay with some work colleagues next weekend. Looking for a non-strenuous half day activity and thinking of setting up an abseil on the coast overlooking the sea, etc.

Does anyone know of a venue where this might be possible? Ideally looking near Port Charlotte as that is where we are staying. Plan at the moment is just to go on a recce when I get there but some inside info would be helpful.

Cheers in advance
 Cobbler 10 Apr 2013
OP OwenF 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Cobbler:

Looks nice! That would be great if you could think of somewhere 'friendly'.

cheers
 Cobbler 10 Apr 2013
In reply to OwenF:

Damn! This is hard! I can imagine what you're looking for but I can't think of it! I've never looked at the place with a view to rigging an abseil. Looking at 1:25000 mapping you'll see the west coast has loads of cliffs - getting to them is the problem.

Heading west from Port charlotte you come to Kilchiaran and to the north there is a hill with radio masts. There are cliffs there overlooking the Atlantic but may be too big/inaccessible. http://binged.it/12J0ka5

Following the track/path that runs round that hill to the north there is some bouldering to be had at grid 205 622. Or drive to Kilchoman (car park at 208 634) and walk south.

I'd be interested to know what you end up doing. Hope you have a good time anyway!

I'll post again if I have any brainwaves!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...