UKC

Quick way to get rid of blisters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JamButty 10 Apr 2013
I got two identical nasty blisters on my heels after the w/e (mountaineering boots!) and I've got a long trail run planned for Sunday.

At the mo I can't wear my trail shoes (or any shoes) without hobbling.
I'm spending all day in socks at work with a protective gauze, and as soon as I get home I'm in bare feet. Most I use is vaseline to keep it moist.

Any top tips for the next few days so I can hopefully do my run?

Cheers
 Run_Ross_Run 10 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty:

Compeed them!! *let the flood gates open*

Worked for me.
 JIMBO 10 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty: pop and trim... tape up with good tape on the day
 timjones 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Darren09:
> (In reply to JamButty)
>
> Compeed them!! *let the flood gates open*
>
> Worked for me.

Gaffer tape is cheaper
 goldmember 10 Apr 2013
In reply to Darren09: agree compeed is amazing!
needvert 11 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty:

I found burn dressings with silicon hydrogel to be expensive,but really comfortable.
 plyometrics 11 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty:

Pop, squeeze out all of the juice and then let them air and dry out as much as possible, dont cover up unless you need to run or walk any kind of distance. If you do have to protect them, you cant go wrong with compeed.
 robthered 11 Apr 2013
Good trick from my old man (ex-Bootneck) is to thread the blister with needle and thread (cotton). Run it through a couple of times (with a large blister). Much better than popping it, and you just leave the thread in to act as a kind of wick under whatever dressing you put on. Seems to dry up and heal very quickly this way.

Probably a bit late now though...
OP JamButty 11 Apr 2013
In reply to plyometrics:
> (In reply to JamButty)
>
> Pop, squeeze out all of the juice and then let them air and dry out as much as possible, dont cover up unless you need to run or walk any kind of distance. If you do have to protect them, you cant go wrong with compeed.

Thats what I've done, although they popped themselves so I'll go and track down some compeed
Thanks for all replies
 colina 11 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty: I suspect you may well be f****d for sundays run.
compeed wont help imo. just need to heal naturally..only option would be to get some shoes/sandals that don't rub the blister area when youre running ,.good luck anyway
OP JamButty 11 Apr 2013
In reply to colina: Nooooo, don't kill my hopes.
I've still got 3 days
The Papa Lazarou 11 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty: plaster or sterile dressing over blister(if its open) then layer of half lapped zinc oxide tape & put up with it.thats what has worked for me in the past.hope this helps
 Steve Perry 11 Apr 2013
In reply to plyometrics:
> (In reply to JamButty)
>
> Pop, squeeze out all of the juice and then let them air and dry out as much as possible, dont cover up unless you need to run or walk any kind of distance.

That's exactly what I'd say too, works a treat. I'd add, peel away all the dead skin completely to air better,

AlKirk 11 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty: Pop, drain, savlon and cover with good Elastoplast always works for me. The cotton thread idea sounds interesting too.
OP JamButty 14 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty: Did my run along Stanage Edge today, with tensoplast and a bit of gauze and vas covering them. I had no problems at all, although one has reopened so I've delayed recovery for a few days. Who cares it was great out there although a tad windy - not many climbing for some reason

Thanks for all the advice
 Banned User 77 14 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty: Windy today..
epocian 18 Apr 2013
In reply to JamButty:
I always used woollen thread rather than cotton - it wicks far better!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...