UKC

Smelly Fleece

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 edunn 11 Apr 2013
My fleece smells.

I have a Smartwool baselayer which I bought so that I wouldn't smell but my Mountain Equipment Shroud 'jacket' friggin stinks.

Anybody know of any decent looking, quick drying, medium weight (warmth) fleeces, with a hood, and those nice thumb holes, that don't end up smelling like a tramps sock?
 Tall Clare 11 Apr 2013
In reply to edunn:

Does it come clean if you wash it with some napisan (or similar)?
OP edunn 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Tall Clare:

Haven't tried to be honest. Smell tends to linger after the usual Ariel wash. But it's the in-use smell that gets me. One day on the hill and it stinks.
 wercat 11 Apr 2013
In reply to edunn:

I can't solve the problem of smelly synthetics as they always end up smelling like a toilet after I've had them on, sometimes after 1 day. I've given up with them and I solved the problem another way.

I wear multiple layers of wool, starting with merino next to the skin. I go to outlet shops and buy cheap merino/smartwool stuff in sales at big discounts and I wear as many as are needed under my jacket. This is a totally flexible system and also means that I don't have to think what to wear as mid layer/s, just how many to take out depending on weather conditions.

And they don't end up smelling!
 aldo56 11 Apr 2013
In reply to edunn: Embrace the odor!
In reply to edunn:

> My fleece smells.

Actually, it's probably you that smells (or, more accurately, it's you that's making it smell).

Different people have different bacterial flora, and exude different body chemicals (stress is a good one for making stuff stink). Some could wear a fleece for weeks, and it wouldn't smell. Some can wear a fleece for a couple of hours and it will ming. Seems you're one of the latter...

Does it smell even with a merino base layer under it?

I'd suggest you try TC's suggestion if your washing process isn't leaving it smelling fresh.
 CurlyStevo 11 Apr 2013
In reply to edunn:
It could be your washing machine too. Do you use fabric softner (this can build up in the machine and cause a build up of bacteria). Also do you run an empty boil wash from time to time.

Also try drying the fleece in the sun outside after washing it.
 nniff 11 Apr 2013
In reply to edunn:

Are you into protein shakes? Overconsumption makes you stink. We banned no 2 son from them and the problem was solved.
andic 11 Apr 2013
In reply to captain paranoia:

That's interesting I have noticed I pong a bit if I am anxious or stressed.

OP I'd give the jacket a really good wash with some kind of steriliser as suggested by TC and dry outside, just to make sure it is not "residual“ pong.
 FrJ 11 Apr 2013
In reply to edunn:

My old day sack was beginning to get very pongy after 10 years of sweaty arm pits. A good machine wash (desparate measures) would solve the problem until it got warm and wet (which didn't usually take long) and it was back to square one. As a last chance before binning it I gave it a good soak in dettol ("mountain fresh"! I think) and then machine washed it. Not been a problem since.

I'm pretty sure that the smell was accumulated bacteria which normal washing could not shift and which just revived with the next bit of warmth and moisture. The dettol killed them off so no problem.

My guess would be that the ME jacket is suffering the same problem. If you like its fit and functionality then I'd certainly give the nappisan or dettol a try: there seems to be nothing to lose.

Otherwise, probably looking at merino wool mid-layers.
 the power 11 Apr 2013
In reply to CurlyStevo:

>
> Also try drying the fleece in the sun outside after washing it.

Bit of a expensive wash factoring in airfare
 wercat 11 Apr 2013
In reply to nniff:
the problem with this theory is that I don't take protein shakes and I don't stink except with synthetics. The theory about differing bacteria I think does hold water
 wercat 11 Apr 2013
In reply to wercat:

same applies to boot linings, with leather boots and wool socks no real problem even after days in the alps. Synthetic linings and I'd be classed as WMD entering a mountain hut
 AdrianC 11 Apr 2013
In reply to Tall Clare: Damn you're quick! I saw this thread title and thought "I'll bet she's in there with the old Napisan trick," and sure enough there you are.
 buffalo606 11 Apr 2013
In reply to the power:
> (In reply to CurlyStevo)
>
> [...]
>
> Bit of a expensive wash factoring in airfare

Brilliant!

Rock Badger 11 Apr 2013
In reply to edunn:

Ice breaker hoody. Aclima hoody,,,,,,both expensive
 Tall Clare 11 Apr 2013
In reply to AdrianC:

What can I say? You taught me everything I know!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...