UKC

Where to go in Scotland at end April for walking/scrambling?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Anyone care to reccommend a new area for me to explore?

I have explored around Glencoe, Fort william area, Skye, Torridon, and had a few days around Ullapool (An Tellach & Suilven).

Have loved all these areas (when I have had good weather) and would happily go back to one of them, but feel I sould maybe explore an area new to me. Am keen on dramatic scenery more than bleak areas however wild and remote they may be.

Have 7 or 8 days at the end of April, I realise that this year there will be a fair bit of snow in places so will probably have walking crampons and a lightweight ice axe with me in case they are needed.

Driving from Pembrokeshire so probably not wanting to go any further north than Ullapool.

All suggestions appreciated.
redsonja 11 Apr 2013
In reply to mountain.martin: knoydart is fantastic
 Mark Bull 11 Apr 2013
In reply to mountain.martin:

Kintail/Affric area would be another option.

Gawyllie 11 Apr 2013
In reply to mountain.martin: Kintail or the cairgorms. will be a lot more snow in the latter obviously. both areas have loads of walking and scrambling as well as other stuff if the weather is unkind

the cairngorms could be described as bleak but they are awesomely dramatic being the biggest mountains in scotland. loads of scrambling if you look about too

kintail has many high level long fine grassy ridges and some easy scrambly ones like the forcan, Mullach fraoch choire and the western ridge on Bheinn Fhada

In reply to mountain.martin: Why not wizz out to Mallaig via something like Streap or Rois-Bheinn en route, then you can get the boat in to Knoydart for a few days for Sgurr na Ciche, Ladhar Bheinn and a whole lot of other brilliant stuff. Back to Mallaig and jump on a ferry for Rum. The Rum Cuillin traverse is one of the best scrambly hillwalks anywhere; I'd recommend you spend at least two nights on the island and there's scope for a fair bit longer if you're into exploring some more obscure corners.
ccmm 11 Apr 2013
In reply to mountain.martin: Ardgour for exploration and scenery. Rough wee hills that you'll probably have all to yourself.
 Mike-W-99 11 Apr 2013

Arran - "Scotland in Miniature"

Dont know if there is enough to occupy you for 7-8 days though?

Interesting replies so far, many thanks to those who have taken the time to reply. I will be researching these areas.

Any more opinions?

Cheers,

Martin

Gawyllie 11 Apr 2013
In reply to mountain.martin: i dont know what your plans are for accomodation and such but since you are driving you can always see what the weather is like a week before and base where you go on that. no point in driving up to Kintail to get wet when its sunny in Arrochar
 Ramblin dave 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:
Rum Cuillin question: all the route descriptions I've read take it from north to south in one long day, with the the nights before and after spent in Kinloch. But it looks like the one sensible approach would be to get the morning ferry across to the island, mess around a bit and then walk along the coast to Dibidibidibi Bothy for the night before getting an early start and doing the traverse south to north on the way back, before getting the last ferry back to the mainland.

Is there any strong reason to do the traverse north to south? Apart from the fact that if you're doing it in a day it's nice to get onto the interesting stuff as quickly as possible?
 Lankyman 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave: S-N after a bothy night is not a bad idea Dave, except that if you go N-S as per usual then most of the appreciable scrambling is done in ascent. You don't have to do most of the scrambling, there's usually a bypass path wherever things get interesting, but I'd strongly recommend it as there are some great hands-on sections. Personally I'm not sure I'd enjoy downclimbing the harder bits on the Askival Pinnacle and Ainshval...

By late April there's enough daylight to do the full traverse after arriving that morning; that's certainly how I did it on my most recent visit a spring or two ago. The coastal path back from Dibidil to Kinloch is fine in the dark (watch out for burn crossings if it's very wet though).
 Mike-W-99 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Ramblin dave:
We did it north-south as we were camping at Kinloch. Rather than going out by the bothy we dropped down to Loch Fiachanais and walked back along the land rover track to Kinloch.
Dont miss out Trollabhal as its the best hill despite there being a bypass path.
 Siward 14 Apr 2013
How about a walk through from Glenfinnan to Shiel Bridge? Oodles of great hills en route.

Or a round of Loch Mullardoch?

Both would be fantastic options methinks...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...