UKC

Bristol indoor training locations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Os_878 12 Apr 2013
Hi,
I will be moving soon from W.mids to Bristol for work & wanted to know more about the local indoor centre & what training equipment they hold & also which people recommend.
Thanks

Olly
 sianabanana 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Os_878:

Undercover rock - leading - top roping - modest amount of bouldering.
they have started to change their routes a bit more frequently which is nice, but is they still could do with giving the place a good clean.

TCA - Boldering only - loads to do. They really seem to have their management working well and they actually plan and publish when they are changing their routes. They have set colours for a range of grades, and rotate which gets changed every week or so. So there is always something new. Always, clean and tidy, and they actually clean their holds when they rotate them.

Redpoint - not open yet, but take a look at their facebook page to be kept up to date with their progress. It looks like its really coming along nicely now and im told they are planning to open May ish. Leading, Top Roping and Bouldering.
 Steve nevers 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Os_878: To expand on that a little:

UCR:Bit grotty, Route setters could do with being a bit more creative, not everything should be big reach/dyno. Bouldering rooms very small and as a result a slight bit over set with not enough variation. Gets busy. good neighbouring pubs.

TCA: Gets busy, Grades are on the stiff side, but thats not a bad thing. pretty expensive in the evenings. Bitout of the way.

Redpoint: no idea yet, but should hopefully give UCR a kick up the arse at least.
 elliptic 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:

> UCR: Route setters could do with being a bit more creative

Disagree, the route setting is pretty good and varied at the moment IMHO. The beginner routes tend to be jughauls, that's inevitable really but for the harder stuff Jak in particular has a fairly devious imagination. I don't find it dull anyway.
 Steve nevers 12 Apr 2013
In reply to elliptic:
> (In reply to Steve nevers)
>
> [...]
>
> Disagree, the route setting is pretty good and varied at the moment IMHO. The beginner routes tend to be jughauls, that's inevitable really but for the harder stuff Jak in particular has a fairly devious imagination. I don't find it dull anyway.

To be fair i did mean the setting in their bouldering room more than out on the main wall, reading back i worded my first comment badly.

I will also admit i'm currently bored to death of plastic & plywood.
 ericinbristol 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Steve nevers:

Fair enough. I am not much into indoor roped climbing but there's a 7b at UCR at the moment that is superb, for an indoor route.
OP Os_878 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Os_878: thanks All what's about campus boards & beastmakers?
 sianabanana 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Os_878:

Both have campus boards and finger boards

ucr - take a look at their facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151235316273637&set=pb.8931044...

tca has more stuff like this i would say.
OP Os_878 12 Apr 2013
In reply to sianabanana: thanks for that
 iClimber 13 Apr 2013
In reply to Os_878:

I normally prefer to climb on a rope than boulder indoors but I really enjoy a visit to TCA when I am in bristol. Clear, simple layout. Plenty to do. Does get busy though.
 Steve nevers 24 Apr 2013
In reply to ericinbristol:
> (In reply to Steve nevers)
>
but there's a 7b at UCR at the moment that is superb, for an indoor route.

Is that the one that Toms been working on? Any idea if hes cracked it yet?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...