UKC

Wintour's Leap - Peregrines

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Sewards 12 Apr 2013
All

The site of the peregrine nest on GO Wall has now been confirmed and we have agreed a revised restriction with the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust, to replace the interim restriction previously in place (http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=544085). Essentially John was right and I was wrong - the peregrines are nesting at the right-hand end of GO Wall, in the Pedestal Area.

Therefore, please avoid all routes in the Pedestal Area (pages 179-187 of the Lower Wye Valley guidebook, pages 149-151 of South West Climbs Vol I), and also Zebrazone and Surrealist which finish in this area. Also, please avoid routes in Woodcroft Quarry to the left of Still Nice and Still Sleazy (Still Nice and Still Sleazy itself is fine). The RAD has been updated with this info, and updated signs will be placed on site.

In terms of the more popular routes, the restriction includes (amongst others) Zebrazone, Surrealist, The Isle of Dogs, Never Say Goodbye, The Burning Giraffe, Kama Sutra and The Perfumed Garden (but that's fallen down anyway!). It also includes Nightmare of Brown Sugar and The Devil's Trousers in the entrance to the Quarry. The left-hand side of GO Wall is fine, as are routes in the centre that don't venture into the Pedestal Area, so King Kong, Kangaroo Wall and The Jackal et al are all unrestricted. Still Nice and Still Sleazy and all routes to its right are also unaffected.

The restriction is in place until 30 June, when it will be reviewed. In previous years they've flown the nest by then, but we've had a late spring, so it's possible it may need to be extended a bit.

Thanks for your cooperation

Rick Sewards
Wye Valley Access Rep
 AJM 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Thanks for the update. Game on for Kangaroo Wall and Big Dong then

My guide is at home - does Vulture Squadron stray into the restriction or does it go up soon enough to avoid it?
OP Rick Sewards 12 Apr 2013
In reply to AJM:

Hi Andy

Vulture Squadron is fine - it goes up well before the Pedestal Area. There's a blunt arete (the line of The Isle of Dogs) which projects forward above the Pedestal, and keeps the central area of GO Wall out of the line of site from the nest.

Have fun - but I think it'll be a bit wet this weekend!

Rick
 AJM 12 Apr 2013

Ok thanks! All I need now are arms, bravery and a climbing partner
OP Rick Sewards 20 Apr 2013

I've now had an unconfirmed but credible report that the peregrines have in fact moved on to Fly Wall, on the route Jos'e and the Fly - the same site as 2 years ago. This is likely to be the same birds who were on GO Wall (as it would be very unusual to have 2 peregrine nests in such close proximity), but I can't be sure so IN ADDITION TO the signed restriction on the right hand side of GO Wall described above could everyone please avoid routes on Fly Wall to the right of Dragonfly (Dragonfly itself is OK as it's well out of sight in the next bay). I will put temporary signs up tomorrow morning and we will try once again to establish exactly where they nesting - thanks for your co-operation.

Rick
 dave frost 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Rick Sewards: which probably means another summer without firefly and no shunting on arms like a fly.

Ah well.

Dave
OP Rick Sewards 21 Apr 2013
In reply to dave frost:

Hi Dave

Firefly is still open (well out of sight of the nest), but Arms Like a Fly isn't.

Rick
OP Rick Sewards 26 Apr 2013

Hi everyone

I can confirm that the peregrines have moved from GO Wall and set up their nest on the far right-hand end of Fly Wall. The restriction on GO Wall and the Northern end of Woodcroft Quarry is therefore lifted, while the restriction on Fly Wall is confirmed.

Therefore, please avoid all routes on Fly Wall to the right (south) of Dragonfly, until further notice. This is currently the only nesting restriction on Wintour’s Leap. I don’t want to commit to an end-date to the restriction yet, as (like everything else this spring) they have nested later than usual.

I will remove the GO Wall restriction signs and update the Fly Wall signs tomorrow morning.

Thanks very much for your continued co-operation.

Rick Sewards
Wye Valley Access Rep

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...