UKC

Exfoliating DMM krabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John H Bull 12 Apr 2013
Just noticed that some of my krabs (DMM Pro Wires) have started to shed their outer layer in a flaky exfoliation especially around the nose. Pretty minor so far, but still.

I saw the same kind of erosion, but more severe, on some DMM krabs a couple of decades ago (!), and assumed it was due to sea cliff use. I'd subsequently steered clear of them until I bought this batch 2-3 years ago, during which time I've hardly been near a sea cliff.

Normally I reckon on at at least 5-6 years' use for krabs unless they are obviously worn or damaged, and I haven't seen this sort of erosion with any other makes. There's no hope of me finding a receipt, and I haven't contacted DMM - maybe I should.

In the meantime, what do folk reckon, are they still safe to use for a while yet, or should I retire them early?
 xplorer 12 Apr 2013
In reply to bullybones:

Has it compromised the steel
 andy_e 12 Apr 2013
In reply to bullybones:

Get in touch with DMM, I'm sure they'll be interested. There was a thread on something similar to this a while back I think.
 homing-penguin 12 Apr 2013
In reply to bullybones: i retired a stack of them this year, wasn't sure about using them.
 cammi 12 Apr 2013
In reply to bullybones: A friend of mine had this happen to her quickdraws and sent them back for DMM to have a look at as she wasn't sure about continuing use. They sent her new ones- I think that speaks for itself
 JezH 12 Apr 2013
In reply to bullybones: One of my prowires is doing the same thing across the top. It's probably a year old. I'm still using it, but it is a little worrying.
 AlanLittle 12 Apr 2013
In reply to bullybones:

I'm sure DMM would be interested to have a look at them, especially if they haven't seen extensive sea cliff use or been to Thailand
 biscuit 12 Apr 2013
In reply to bullybones:

http://dmmclimbing.com/knowledge/anodising-vid/

The same happened to 2 of mine - also pro wires but i am guessing/hoping that's just a coincidence.

I was lucky enough to be able to show them to Silvi ( who wrote the aticle ) and Simon from DMM who confirmed it looked like erosion from contact with different metal types. It explains this about half way down.

All my gear is kept in a big expedition bag where everything can potentially touch everything else. The rest of my pro wires are all fine and it's never happened to any of the anodised ones. They are for rope end only so i guess the anodising and the fact they don't get clipped to gear/hangers helps.
 stewieatb 12 Apr 2013
In reply to bullybones:

Go and get in touch with DMM, including a few photos. One of their staff actually lurks on here, so he may see this post and get in touch with you. It seems likely that DMM will replace them.
OP John H Bull 12 Apr 2013
In reply to biscuit and others:
Thanks muchly - interesting vid and article.

I keep my kit in a big bag too, but however you keep it it's difficult to stop contact between metals.

I was in Thailand at Xmas (forgot about that somehow), but still, it's only these krabs that have the damage. Also, when I look closely, it's affected my blue (definitely anodised) krabs as well as the plain grey ones (not sure whether these are anodised). But only the Pro-wires; other DMM models (and other brands such as Wild Country etc etc) are not affected despite having had the same exposure (which includes Thailand and more, as I've had them longer).

I'll take that advice and send some pics to DMM. Thanks all!
 3leggeddog 13 Apr 2013
In reply to bullybones:

Before anyone gets wound up about having different metals in contact with each other, have a careful look at your rack, wire gate crabs, cams, normal crabs, wires all have this as part of their make up. Galvanic corrosion can be a problem but it requires an electrolyte.

If you have bought the different metals excuse, you have been sold a pseudoscientific pup
 cuppatea 13 Apr 2013
In reply to 3leggeddog:

Shhh! I was going to sell my idea for sacrificial anodes to gear4rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...