UKC

Curved Ridge Tomo???

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 peebles boy 12 Apr 2013
It's been on the tick list all winter but I've not managed it. Given winter may be leaving the building for the foreseeable future, should I go for it tomo? Solo....

Done Sron na Lairig solo and found it fine, done Dorsal solo and found it do-able, have done CR in summer, Ledge Route was a breeze...
I know it comes down to conditions a lot of the time, but I'm feeling fit and healthy and happy with my skills. So...

How does Curved compare to routes above? Does the polished corner give it the grade it has, or is the entire route actually worthy of the grade (i.e., without the corner is it just a "straightforward" grade II)?

Seen the forecast and as such aiming for a well early start and finish before the weather kicks off and the avalanche hazard picks up.

N ridge of Sron na Creise as a back up I think.

Comments appreciated, I'm packing the bag now and going to bed in an hour, with several objects in mind for tomo, but would really like Curved to be the one to do (but not daft enough to blinded by it if things are not in good nick up there, and don't want a Maxibon day).

Cheers,
Gordon
 BigHell 12 Apr 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Take care! We did this years ago in February,it was a very kind day. The start of the scramble is just beyond of the water slab ....Have fun!
 Nigel Thomson 12 Apr 2013
In reply to peebles boy: You'll be fine mate.
 Fly Fifer 12 Apr 2013
In reply to peebles boy: If the corner stumps u move right 10 yard to a short step. hand on rock you will be fine. great route tommorow but very different under powder.
rab-e 12 Apr 2013
In reply to Fly Fifer: Eh??
There is no easier way at the crux corner as far as I know. Are you talking about the wall below it?
 Only a hill 13 Apr 2013
In reply to Fly Fifer:
> (In reply to peebles boy) If the corner stumps u move right 10 yard to a short step. hand on rock you will be fine. great route tommorow but very different under powder.

We once got ourselves unto difficulties trying to avoid the crux corner on the right, and ended up getting the rope out for a much more difficult pitch. Not sure I'd recommend this tactic.
 Jamie B 13 Apr 2013
In reply to peebles boy:

Hi Gordon. By this stage in the season the corner is often banked up and quite straightforward, and it may be that the balancy wall just below is harder. If you want to avoid both, look for the chimney/gully system directly above the easy section. This is horribly loose in summer, but if it's full of neve will offer the easiest route.

The rib at the start of the route can feel awkward with crampons on, and overall I'd say it was top-end grade II.
OP peebles boy 13 Apr 2013
In reply to Jamie B:

Cheers for the replies folks.
Drove up this morning early doors and the Buachaille was only cloud covered hill in Glencoe!! Changed plans to something else and had a cracking adventure, post to follow once I've eaten, showered and sorted photos out!!!

Gordon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...