ROCKTALK forum

View latest messages in My Forums
This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Topic - Self rescue: guide plate.

AlanLittle - on 14 Apr 2013
I was watching Steve Long's excellent video on escaping the system last night. Steve & Oli show the most common UK scenario where the fallen climber is hanging from the belayer's harness.

Now I'm wondering about the scenario where my fallen climber is hanging from a device in guide mode. In many ways it seems much simpler: the climber is already on a locked-off device attached directly to the central point of the belay. I'm already not in the system. Let's say I don't need to extract the plate for my own use because I already have everything I need to get up & down the rope: tibloc, prusik loop, knowledge of how to tie a munter.

I still need to do something to back up the plate (suppose the climber regains consciousness and unweights the rope) I'm guessing a prusik on the live rope direct into the central point? Is this ok? Am I missing something?
... not showing 31 replies to this topic ...
Register as a New User or login to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and completely free.
If you are definitely logged on, press Ctrl+F5 keys to reload this page [read more]

Unregistered users can only read messages in the most recent topics.
ads.ukclimbing.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

My Forums