/ Ben Nevis tourist path. Conditions.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cadairmanuk - on 14 Apr 2013
Good afternoon. Just thinking of heading up the Ben tomorrow. Anyone had a rabble up today or yesterday. I know wind and rain possible whiteout conditions will possibly be in store and navigating the Plato requires concentration. I have been on the ben a few times but alway in good weather. Avalanche is my other concern. Any advise on an accent via the tourist way in the current conditions would be appritiated.

Ben
blackreaver - on 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk: I descended that way on Wednesday, there was no snow below the half way lochan, the tourist path disappeared about half way up the zig-zags under neve. You could really do with crampons after that.

I know that this was about half a week ago, but this may be of some use.

BR
In reply to blackreaver: Thanks. We have full winter kit, crampons and axes. Was the a path carved out in the snow?

Ben
Welsh Kate - on 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk:
I always find that navigating Plato requires concentration, it's one of the reasons I never really liked Greek philosophy ;-)
blackreaver - on 14 Apr 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk: There was a distinguishable path until about 3/4 of the way up the zig-zags. We just did Number 5 Gully and walked off the tourist path, so we didn't summit. There was no path on the plateau from what I can remember. With crampons, which you have you should be fine.
You can just take a bearing when you reach the plateau, but watch out for gardyloo gully!

BR
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Ha ha iphone predictable texting.
In reply to blackreaver:

Thanks Mate. Good info.
almost sane - on 14 Apr 2013
ads.ukclimbing.com
andrew breckill - on 21 Apr 2013
In reply to Cadairmanuk: in years past there has been a very definite path down red burn, walked up that a few times in white out conditions, hard slog but you cant really go wrong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.